An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bible Translations

Nathan

Which translation(s) of the Bible do you read?

Myself, I own a few different versions, and I use them for different purposes. For serious study, my top choice is the Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (RSV-CE) -- an extremely literal (word-for-word) modern-day English translation of the original Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic Scriptures. Other versions I use for serious study are the New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (NRSV-CE; again, an extremely literal translation, but with inclusive language) and the old Douay-Rheims (Challoner) Bible.

For simple, everyday devotional reading, I like to pick up a dynamic translation. My top choice in that department is the Jerusalem Bible ([i]not[/i] the New Jerusalem), a wonderfully literary and poetic translation released in 1966. It's amazing, an absolute must-have for all Scripture-loving Catholics. I also dip into the New American Bible (NAB) from time to time, though it's difficult to keep up with all of the revisions made by the US Bishops.

What about you?

Edited by Nathan

phatcatholic

i avoid the NRSV b/c i think inclusive language is borderline-sinful.........i can't stand it. in apologetics, it is helpful to be aquainted w/ the KJV and the NASB, so i read those often. protestants tend to prefer these two translations. also, w/ just about every online bible resource, the KJV and the NASB are the only translations that are hyperlinked to Strong's Concordance. so i have to use those if i want to learn more about the Greek or Hebrew behind a passage. from what i can tell, the RSV that you find online and the RSV-CE that i have a print copy of are the same. so, i use that version when i'm at catholic boards. i don't really like the NAB, so i hardly ever use it. i think that's about it.....

cmotherofpirl

I use the RSV and Douay for apologetics, but for personal devotion I use the New English Bible I brought back from London. Its psalms are beautifully translated. :)

philothea

I had...er, I don't know what translation it was exactly, a Catholic "Study Bible" for a long time. Then I bought a New Jerusalem Bible.

When I was in RCIA, they gave me a New American Bible, and I wore it to pieces. I bought a hardcover one and I use that now.

I also got a dictionary-concordance to go with the NAB.

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='May 4 2005, 12:47 PM'] i avoid the NRSV b/c i think inclusive language is borderline-sinful......... [/quote]
It's definitely a drawback, but it doesn't bother me that much. Seriously, aside from that, the NRSV-CE is a great translation. Very literal, very scholarly, very readable.

I certainly don't blame you for feeling the way you do, though. It was a retarded move on behalf of the translators.

Edited by Nathan

MilesChristi

The Douay Rheims is the Bible I use for most of my devotional reading. If I'm on the subway, I'll often pull out a pocket-sized Confraternity revision of the New Testament. I'm also a fan of the Navarre Bible commentaries; my collection is slowly growing. :)

I've heard the Navarre Bible commentary series is absolute [i]gold[/i]. Gotta get me some of them!

philothea

[quote name='Nathan' date='May 4 2005, 05:38 PM'] I've heard the Navarre Bible commentary series is absolute [i]gold[/i]. Gotta get me some of them! [/quote]
Yeah, it's nice. I've got the Navarre Gospel of John.... er, somewhere.

I have way too many books.

Catholictothecore

Umm...I just have the Revised New American version....got a red cover with a white cross on it. I like it. It's not as "up-to-date" as "The Way" (the only other Bible I've been devoted to), but it's good. Basic, probably.

As more than likely revealed above, I know very little about version and differences. Is there a "101" section to this board?

phatcatholic

[quote name='Nathan' date='May 4 2005, 05:38 PM'] I've heard the Navarre Bible commentary series is absolute [i]gold[/i]. Gotta get me some of them! [/quote]
yea, that's an understatement. i have the whole set, and it has enriched my understanding of the Bible beyond belief. i am so unbelievably indebted to the theology department at Navarre and St. Josemaria Escriva for writing such an amazing commentary on the bible.

[b]catholictothecore[/b]....................check out the [b][url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showforum=21"]reference section[/url][/b] if you would like to learn more about catholicism and the bible. here's a few tracts to get you started:

[b]--[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=14834"]Tips on Reading, Praying, and Studying the Bible[/url]
--[url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=15162"]Which Bible Is Right for You?[/url]
--[url="http://www.catholic.com/library/Bible_Translations_Guide.asp"]Bible Translations Guide[/url][/b]

pax christi,
phatcatholic