An Old School Catholic Message Board

Elaborate Churches

jesus=my_homeboy

jesus=my_homeboy

[quote]by assuming that just because a church is elaborate that it does nothing to support the poor is an insult to that church's community and to Christ. [/quote]

I never said, nor do I think that elaborate churches do nothing to support the poor. I'm not trying to insult or offend anyone. I was just curious of others' opinions. There is no need for accusations.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='jesus=my_homeboy' date='May 4 2005, 04:44 PM']
Didn't the Old Testament also say "an eye for an eye?" I think Jesus taught us to turn the other cheek. I'm not saying everything in the OT is untrue, or any of it for that matter, but Jesus came and changed our way of thinking about a lot of things. I don't remember Jesus telling us we should first build elaborate churches to glorify God, then give to the poor.

Churches may raise our hearts, minds, and souls to God. But when I do something good for someone else, my heart is raised to God. When I am in conversation with God through prayer (anywhere), my mind is raised to God. When I commit my life to God, my soul is raised to God. None of those things require a church. Now, don't get me wrong. I am NOT saying that we should do away with churches. I'm just saying I don't think God would mind if we used the money to help others and further God's Kingdom. [/quote]
Read the New testement, I am thinking that it was avery simular arguement made aboutthe expense of the oils that the sinful women had poored over him, that they could be sold and the money given to the poor. Christ rebuked them.

[quote name='jesus=my_homeboy' date='May 4 2005, 04:35 PM']
I never said, nor do I think that elaborate churches do nothing to support the poor. I'm not trying to insult or offend anyone. I was just curious of others' opinions. There is no need for accusations. [/quote]
i disagree because of the way your question is worded, it does indeed seem like that is what is what you are implying. you are seem to be saying "geez these people worship in such a beautiful and elaborate space, are they doing anything to help the poor at all?"

my apologies if this is not what you intended to say, but that's what it seemed like to me.

(and i don't think i ever said welcome to phatmass, so welcome! :) )