An Old School Catholic Message Board

families of converts...

theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

When I first was answering the call, I despaired for my family. I thought, "I pray for them night and day, and God just doesn't answer..." And then I thought, "well, God made them free, and they aren't using their freedom to come to God." That was true, but I kind of got mad at them, which was my own fault, and not theirs.

I'm coming to understand that God exists outside of time. My family is finally coming around, but they are in God's hands, and they are on their own timetables. God made us Catholic for a reason...we are the seed he planted in our families and friends. And he made those years of loneliness for a reason...because he wants as many of my family and friends to go to heaven as possible, and he wanted me to be the one to tell them about it. My mission on earth is to pray for my family and friends.

Don't stop praying for your loved ones. You won't be a stranger in heaven. You might be praying a rosary with them sooner than you think.

Thank you so much for writing that. I've gotten to the point where I don't even want to pray for my family, I just want to not think about it at all...avoid the subject entirely even in my thoughts.

My family needs my prayers and I should never give up on them even if it's uncomfortable for me to think about how far they are from the Church.

theculturewarrior

Yeah, for a while me and my family just wouldn't talk about it.

But now my mom and I go to Church with my niece, and she's getting a Catholic upbringing. And my dad is finally coming around.

sweetpea316

Awesome! Yeah...I havn't exactly talked to my family about the ever-growing Catholic feelings I have...they would probably flip out. But I still think they can kinda tell, just by some random actions and things I've said... ^_^

theculturewarrior

My dad didn't even know I was a Christian for a year after I had "accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior." I felt like I should show that I was Christian by bringing the inward change outward, and showing how it has changed me. Really not a bad "technique" in retrospect. My father has seen what God has done for me.

Maybe my situation is different than most converts, because my parents had once been Catholic, and were less indoctrinated against the Church. Nevertheless, I know I am the seed my Father planted, I know God loves my whole family, and all my friends, not just me. He doesn't want my room in his mansion to be empty and without visitors. God wants to have mercy on the whole world, and he will answer your prayers for your loved ones.

That's not to say conversion is not without its difficulties. :)

philothea

I am a convert too, and though I don't have any family, I worry about and pray for my in-laws. They are all Catholic, but some no longer attend mass, and others are cafeteria Catholics.

It is kind of a weird situation to be in. I don't know how to help them directly.

theculturewarrior

Recently I've been learning the power of St. Francis's words, "preach the Gospel always, and when necessary, use words."

Just by insisting that I make it to Mass every Sunday, no matter what the difficulty, is a testimony to the lukewarm. Turning away from my bad habits is too. Working with intensity (whether you are "officially" employed or you are a housewife) is also a great place to start. St. Josemaria Escriva said something like, "How can you evangelize your coworkers if you won't do your job?"

philothea

Yeah...

My husband and I have been inviting some of his er, less commited family along to mass with us. They now kind of expect it when we are in town.

Though, since they take communion in their wishy-washy state, I honestly don't know if it's a helpful thing. :(

Being as objectively sucky as I am, my life is probably not much testimony to anyone, but hey, I will keep trying to improve. Maybe someday.

theculturewarrior

Everybody has room for improvement, but it's God who gives us a testimony. The word itself means "witness," and everybody who has seen, felt, touched, experienced, and loved God (i.e. received him in the Eucharist) has a testimony.

theculturewarrior

Looking back, I can see that I was somewhat scandalized by my father. He is a good man, but he has fallen away from the Truth. After a certain point, I just decided to forgive him. His faults are still annoying to me, but I decided to just love him, and not to try to exact "justice" for my scandalized childhood.

I did this simply by telling him that I love him, before he hung up on the phone. It was not an unwise decision in retrospect. He certainly calls more often now. It seems like he has been waiting all his life for me to say that. It makes me wonder if anybody has ever said that to him. In fact, one night, when I was staying the night, my father came out of him room to say something and then he said, "I love you buh-bye," instead of I love you, goodnight, as if he had been talking on the phone. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but this is the good God has done for me.

So anyway, last night, my father told me he loved me. He's an old sentimental man, now. He was telling me how proud of me he is. So I told him, "the love you have for me is a reflection of the Love God has for you," and he started to tear up. The Truth is powerful, y'all.

Wow, theculturewarrior, you can see seeds being sown! Be encouraged! For many years my dad professed to be an agnostic and we'd argue about Christianity and the existance of God.....and I prayed and prayed...and by the time he died his faith had returned and he was attending (anglican) church every week.....small steps and huge leaps!!

Now of course there is the rest of my family....including nieces and nephews who haven't even been baptised.......I'm asking St Jude to be on the case!

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='theculturewarrior' date='May 15 2005, 12:46 AM'] So anyway, last night, my father told me he loved me. He's an old sentimental man, now. He was telling me how proud of me he is. So I told him, "the love you have for me is a reflection of the Love God has for you," and he started to tear up. The Truth is powerful, y'all. [/quote]
That is AMAZING! Not only the change between you and your dad, but that you are willing and able to relate it to the love of God. So true!

I am praying for you both today (Monday).

MG