An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baptistmail.com

ironmonk

In any event, as we fight the fight we should remember that:

[quote]our wrestling is not against flesh and blood; but against principalities and power, against the rulers of the world of this darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in the high places. - Ephesians 6:12[/quote]

Not that anyone was forgetting, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Mogmog

RandomProddy

[quote name='ironmonk' date='May 10 2005, 04:04 PM'] [b]Our weapons are love, Truth, history, prayer, sacrifice, and fasting.[/b] [/quote]
"Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh beaver dam!"

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='RandomProddy' date='May 11 2005, 12:51 AM'] "Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh beaver dam!" [/quote]
I was just listening to this today!!!! :rolling:

catholicmomof4

Cmotherofpirl said.... We have no problem with other churches [Anglicans and orthodox] or other groups -baptists, methodists etc., [other than they are stray sheep].

We do have problems with those various individuals lying or misrepresenting Catholic teachings, and it is our job to correct them and bring all the rest of the sheep into the Catholic Church.

Remember many people here ARE ex-something else.

She is so right about this....Besides I am a convert from baptist. I noticed one of the questions from that forum was, "I wonder if they get many converts from the baptist faith? We get alot of Catholics." Well, I tell ya, I attend a church that has maybe 250 members in a small town of about 8000 people and this Easter there were 14 new converts from the baptist faith including me, my husband, and our 4 kids ! In the last 10 years this same church has had over 30 new converts from the baptist church and several from other protestant denominations! That is truly wonderful !

I registerd as "IlovePapaBenedictXVI@baptist.com" I think maybe I'll drop them a line and see how many I can convert to the truth ! :pope:

i_see_things_upside_down

I agree with MogMog.
One cannot force Catholicism upon others. I think it is more important to focus on our similarities rather than our differences. When we do focus on the differences we make them a bigger deal than they need to be. It just seems like you all are trying to make someone angry, trying to focus on the fact that you are Catholic and they are not. Instead, why can't we just focus on the fact that we are Christians? Yes, being Catholic is important, but not everyone is called to be Catholic, it is not the only way to heaven. Therefore there is no need to try to indoctrinate people from other denominations. I think that you will make them dislike Catholicism even more by what you are doing. Beware.

[quote name='i_see_things_upside_down' date='May 11 2005, 02:40 PM'] I agree with MogMog.
One cannot force Catholicism upon others. I think it is more important to focus on our similarities rather than our differences. When we do focus on the differences we make them a bigger deal than they need to be. It just seems like you all are trying to make someone angry, trying to focus on the fact that you are Catholic and they are not. Instead, why can't we just focus on the fact that we are Christians? Yes, being Catholic is important, but not everyone is called to be Catholic, it is not the only way to heaven. Therefore there is no need to try to indoctrinate people from other denominations. I think that you will make them dislike Catholicism even more by what you are doing. Beware. [/quote]
No one has to force Catholicism on others.

The Truth shines forth...

It is VERY important to show the differences because non-Catholics do not have life within them.

The 'ignore differences' way of thinking is a deception.

[b]John 6:53 [/b]
Jesus said to them, "[color=red]Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. [/color]
[b]54 [/b][color=red]Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. [/color]

Non-Catholics are not complete Christians. The only true Christian is a Catholic. To be a Christian one must follow the way of Christ... the way of Christ is the Catholic Church. Christ built the Catholic Church. Luther built the lutheran. Knox helped build the presbyterian. etc...

To follow Christ in Truth is to be a real Catholic.

Those who do not correct our lost brethern care not for them. Charity demands correction. We must educate others on the faith, we must plant the seeds... it is God who converts people to the truth.

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote] I agree with MogMog.
One cannot force Catholicism upon others. I think it is more important to focus on our similarities rather than our differences.[/quote]

This is far from what I was implying. It is necessary for us to share what we know to be the truth with others. If we all focus on our similarities and ignore the differences we end up with something so vague it loses its meaning.

I agree that we have more in common with other Christians than we have separating us, because we have Jesus. Even so, if we truely love others we must proclaim the whole truth, that God has more in store for them than they could "ever ask for or imagine." God wants every human to be drawn into the fullness of His family, which is the Church. St. Paul said "Woe to me if I don't preach the gospel" and we should echo this sentiment. We shouldn't think we'll be held blameless if we're given such an all-surpassing treasure and we just sit on it.

My main point, however, is that our motives towards our fellow Christians should be that of charity. THEY as people are not the enemy even if we have to fight against certain things they believe in.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='i_see_things_upside_down' date='May 11 2005, 02:40 PM'] I agree with MogMog.
One cannot force Catholicism upon others. I think it is more important to focus on our similarities rather than our differences. When we do focus on the differences we make them a bigger deal than they need to be. It just seems like you all are trying to make someone angry, trying to focus on the fact that you are Catholic and they are not. Instead, why can't we just focus on the fact that we are Christians? Yes, being Catholic is important, but not everyone is called to be Catholic, it is not the only way to heaven. Therefore there is no need to try to indoctrinate people from other denominations. I think that you will make them dislike Catholicism even more by  what you are doing. Beware. [/quote]
But that is not what Mog was saying. :)

You cannot force someone to be Catholic. Yes we need to focus on what we agree on, because then we can discuss our differences. Those differences are what is keeping them from being a full member of the Church founded by Jesus Christ.

[color=red]EVERYONE IS called to be Catholic, and unless you are connected with the Catholic Church [u]in some fashion[/u] you have no salvation. [/color]
Does that mean an aborigine in some remote land goes to hell - no. You cannot be condemned for what you don't know, and God hasn't given us the details of how He handles those cases.
But the only regular way we know you can get to heaven is thru the Catholic Church founded by Jesus Christ. There has to be a connection.
This is basic Church teaching.

We are not "indoctrinating" people, we are sharing the Truth as we are commanded to do by Scripture: "Go forth and TEACH all Nations".
We are not a denomination among other groups,
we are the Church founded by Christ.

We are not called to be rude, or call people names, or have a superior attitude. We are called to pray for and love our separated brethern and return them to the fold.

Edited by cmotherofpirl

i_see_things_upside_down

[quote name='ironmonk' date='May 11 2005, 12:59 PM']
It is VERY important to show the differences because non-Catholics do not have life within them.

[/quote]
That is not true. That is a blatant lie. How dare you even say such a thing. :angry:

[quote name='i_see_things_upside_down' date='May 11 2005, 09:06 PM'] That is not true. That is a blatant lie. How dare you even say such a thing. :angry: [/quote]
Maybe you don't like the fact that you are wrong, because if you where right, you could easily prove me wrong with scripture and the Catechism.

How dare me? I am just parroting our faith, you try to argue what you have not studied. You are not arguing with me... you are arguing against Christ and His Church, when anyone does that, they will always be wrong. But you can be right by obeying Christ and believing in His Church.

[b]1324 [/b]
The Eucharist is "[b]the source and summit of the Christian life[/b]." "The other sacraments, and indeed all ecclesiastical ministries and works of the apostolate, are bound up with the Eucharist and are oriented toward it. For in the blessed Eucharist is contained the whole spiritual good of the Church, namely Christ himself, our Pasch."

[b]1384 [/b]
The Lord addresses an invitation to us, urging us to receive him in the sacrament of the Eucharist: "Truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you."

[b]1411 [/b]
[u][b]Only [/b][/u]validly ordained priests can preside at the Eucharist and consecrate the bread and the wine so that they become the Body and Blood of the Lord.

[b]1413 [/b]
By the consecration the transubstantiation of the bread and wine into the Body and Blood of Christ is brought about. Under the consecrated species of bread and wine Christ himself, living and glorious, is present in a true, real, and substantial manner: his Body and his Blood, with his soul and his divinity (cf. Council of Trent: DS 1640; 1651).

[b]1414 [/b]
As sacrifice, the Eucharist is also offered in reparation for the sins of the living and the dead and to obtain spiritual or temporal benefits from God.

[b]1415 [/b]
Anyone who desires to receive Christ in Eucharistic communion must be in the state of grace. Anyone aware of having sinned mortally must not receive communion without having received absolution in the sacrament of penance.

Again I say... Only the Catholic Church has the flesh and the blood.

I pray that your knowledge and faith in Christ grow.

Here are a few links for you:
[url="http://www.Catholic.com"]http://www.Catholic.com[/url]
[url="http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com"]http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com[/url]
[url="http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm"]http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/entiretoc1.htm[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk