An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pick a Story for Me

philothea

I tried to make this a poll, but I'm too stupid. :P So you'll just have to tell me the one you like. These are from the story generator at [url="http://www.seventhsanctum.com/"]Seventh Sanctum[/url].

three Science Fiction choices...

-The story is about a starship communications technician who was once married to a farmer. It starts in a tourist town on a swamp planet. A temporal paradox plays a major role in the story.

-The story is about a CIO, a first officer, and a xenobiologist. It starts aboard a space warship. The story climaxes with someone changing clothes. The differences alien societies may have regarding religion is a major element of this story.

-This is a fish-out-of-water story with an undercurrent about overcoming the odds. The story is about aggravated engineers. It takes place at a spatial anomoly. The crux of the story involves a journey. The future of warfare is a major part of this story.

and three Fantasy choices....

-The story is about an industrious king who is best friends with an irrational inventor. It starts in a frozen domain on our world in a new magical age. The critical element of the story is a quest.

-The story is about nine studious arch-mages. It takes place in an alchemist's laboratory in a hamlet. The crux of the story involves destruction. The destruction of a magical artifact plays an important role.

-The story is about an unpopular arch-druid, an architect, and a cunning grave robber. It takes place in a crime-ridden empire. The effect of technology on magic is a major part of the story.

Any preference? :)

journeyman

[quote name='philothea' date='May 9 2005, 08:17 PM'] I tried to make this a poll, but I'm too stupid. :P So you'll just have to tell me the one you like. These are from the story generator at [url="http://www.seventhsanctum.com/"]Seventh Sanctum[/url].

three Science Fiction choices...

-The story is about a starship communications technician who was once married to a farmer. It starts in a tourist town on a swamp planet. A temporal paradox plays a major role in the story.

-The story is about a CIO, a first officer, and a xenobiologist. It starts aboard a space warship. The story climaxes with someone changing clothes. The differences alien societies may have regarding religion is a major element of this story.

-This is a fish-out-of-water story with an undercurrent about overcoming the odds. The story is about aggravated engineers. It takes place at a spatial anomoly. The crux of the story involves a journey. The future of warfare is a major part of this story.

and three Fantasy choices....

-The story is about an industrious king who is best friends with an irrational inventor. It starts in a frozen domain on our world in a new magical age. The critical element of the story is a quest.

-The story is about nine studious arch-mages. It takes place in an alchemist's laboratory in a hamlet. The crux of the story involves destruction. The destruction of a magical artifact plays an important role.

-The story is about an unpopular arch-druid, an architect, and a cunning grave robber. It takes place in a crime-ridden empire. The effect of technology on magic is a major part of the story.

Any preference? :) [/quote]
The best stories are the ones that you "have" to tell . . . they practically jump out of you . . . if you try to shoehorn your story into some other frame, it suffers.

That being said, I think you could combine two of these into a single - multi-character / multi-story line - maybe all three

farmer's family lost their farm on the swamp world to rapacious developers who create a tourist town. communications tech is really a farmer at heart . . . or maybe a fisherman . . . who took to space to help the family keep up the mortgage on the farm that is left. As the star ship battles it way through pirate raiders on the main line, it drifts into an uncharted section where a spatial anomoly send the techie, and the rest of the crew, including the xenobiologist, who is about as useful as any microchip jockey in the stone age, off into a temporal paradox, where, surprise, surprise, they find themselves in the stone age . . . the journey back to a known time and galaxy against all odds leads to surprising revelations . . . . now what can we do so the fish has to change clothes . . .

Thanks. :)

But, but but, I have to use one of the story ideas generated at Seventh Sanctum -- this is an exercise with a writing group!

I am supposed to write 17 more such stories in May. Urk. I have been slacking off.

journeyman

17 stories and this is the 12th . . . that's one a day!!

go with the fish out of water on a journey idea . . . I'm fond of the concept of journey . . .

Thanks! Will do. :)

Presently working on an entirely different (randomly generated) story because I couldn't wait any longer for a response. Why oh why did I write myself into a virtual reality game featuring Plato's Republic? Argh, what to do next? Need more coffee.

:wacko:

journeyman

I don't have stories bubbling up in me, but I have a proofreader's heart . . . I'll be glad to look at anything you care to share.

journeyman

I'll read anything . . . if I don't get past the first chapter, we may have a problem

journeyman

perfect . . . when everyone is reading your stuff, I'll be able to say, I fixed a semi-colon back in the day . . . :D

Silly person. :)

I'll let you know when it's done. Which better darn well be soon or I'm going to go bonkers.

BONKERS, I tell you!!! :wacko: :D

(BTW, Ms. Wyrm... I notice we have the same birthday. :cool:)

Edited by philothea

i like proofing too!!! :DD oooh pick me :waves hand wildly about: i must warn tho, i like to hack, move and rewrite... :)

Well!

Maybe I'll send the first chapter to you nice people to see if you're actually interested in this kind of novel. :P

Of course, that means I have to finish rewriting that first scene... off to the word processing pit I go.

journeyman

We'll brew coffee [img]http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/ia/IASTAcoffeepot.jpg[/img]