An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mass Rocks!

Bfulk

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but i just felt like asking your opinions...what do you think about contemporary music in the Mass? or traditional hymns? or gregorian chant? Which is your favorite to hear in Mass...yeah i know Mass is about Eucharist and the Word, but I just wanted to know your opinions on this. Personally, I LOVE Gregorian chant (especially at monastery churches where the sound reverberates...it sounds almost angelic...) and i prefer traditional hymns in Mass...I used to hate singing altogether but now I love it. Oh yeah and my youth group has a youth Mass every month and they play contemporary Mass music at this...I find it refreshing but it gets old very quickly...One more question...sry to ramble...what do you think about the charismatic movement (lots of praise and worshippy kinda stuff). I need to be honest and say I'm not a huge fan... <_<

Edited by Bfulk

Guest Eremite

The Church distinguishes between sacred and profane (ie, secular) music. Secular music, as an artform, has no place in mass, because it is not suited to the Sacred Liturgy.

Now, this does not mean the music is bad OUTSIDE of Mass. I like to compare it to Catholic literature. We don't (and shouldn't) read GK Chesterton during Mass. We read the Bible. Does that mean there's something wrong with Chesterton? Of course not. His writings just do not belong in the Sacred Liturgy; they belong outside of it.

i agree totally and i understand that but my main question was basically do you prefer contemporary hymns or classic ones. example: "Salt and Light" or "Days of Elijah" (if u guys have heard these) is a more contemporary hymn whereas "What Wondrous Love is This" or "Were you There" would be more traditional type hymns.

traditional. :)

"Were you There"---I like that one. "at the Cross, her Station Keeping" is my favorite for Lent.

SevenSorrows

I think part of the problem with "contemporary" music in mass is this:

1. It is not even "contemporary". doesn't that word mean "up to date"...but somehow "contemporary" music in the catholic church means playing 5-20 year old protestant praise songs.

2. Maybe part of the problem is not that the music is "too rockin" but that it is cheesy protestant music. Think of the chants or latin music....TOTALLY catholic. now think of the last "praise" song you heard in mass. The last one I can think of..was last sunday....instead of singing "lamb of God"....we sang these words "hear our prayer, hear our prayer, in this BREAD and WINE we share, hear our prayer hear our prayer, something something everywhere" bread and wine??? yeah it WAS..but not anymore....

So it becomes a problem when you get music "ministers" up there that can't make up music/lyrics...so they go to their local protestant store to find out "what is cool" (Not like it is their job to make up stuff....but still).

And their aren't many catholic writers out their making up songs for mass....so even with the songs that are in breaking bread...they are usually hippie songs from the 70's.....

I am in NO WAY promoting rock music or anything even close to that in mass. I was just pointing out some problems with "contemporary" music in mass and maybe why they are problems.

Guest Eremite

In the hallowed annals of Tantum Ergo and Dies Irae comes this diddy from David Haas:

[quote]Come all you single ones, divorced and married:
Come you who have lost your spouse, all who are lonely.
With Christ our brother, we are loved and made whole!

Refrain: All is ready. Here and now. All are welcome here.

Come all you young and old, all male and female.
Come, now, all gay and straight, it does not matter.
With Christ, all people are one in God's whole!

Refrain: All is ready. Here and now. All are welcome here.[/quote]

[quote name='Eremite' date='May 11 2005, 04:01 PM'] In the hallowed annals of Tantum Ergo and Dies Irae comes this diddy from David Haas:

[/quote]
Is that for real, or a satire?

Guest Eremite

Sadly, it's for real.

They actually used it for the LA Religious Ed Conference. Here's the program:

Go to pages 44 and 45.

Traditional. I go to a Latin mass. I love Cantate Domino. I even sing and pray the latin. I love it. The Nicene Creed is pretty hard to say in latin but I try my hardest.

Guest Eremite

Osama Bin Laden is welcome to come to mass, so long as he doesn't blow anyone up while he's there.

The Holy Eucharist, however, is limited to Catholics in the state of grace.

DemonSlayer

That song can definitely give the wrong impression, some may see it as saying that Mass is for no matter what if they agree with Church teachings or not, anyway it's irreverant since it's not directed at Christ, it's not really a worship song at all, and you just cannot expect anybody to take the song seriously.

And what is up with using "You Raise me up" within the closing Mass?

Edited by DemonSlayer

yeah i live in a smaller city in Indiana (near Notre Dame) and i heard one of our parishes has a Trinitine Mass (Latin, pre-vatican 2). I've never been but i love Latin and i want to go real bad. I think Latin is the most beautiful language (Italian is awesome too). So yeah if you guys want my opinion, I love everything traditional.