An Old School Catholic Message Board

Revelations and Apparitions

return2truth

Gal. 5:22,23

[quote name='return2truth' date='May 10 2005, 09:51 AM'] Have there been confirmed Marian or Jesus apparitions before any adherents of another Christian denomination outside of Catholicism? [/quote]
If you mean confirmed by the Catholic Church, I would highly doubt it. But many people claim to have had an encounter with Christ. I always look for the fruit in people who make those claims.

For example, back in the 60's, a man had an encounter with Christ and experienced a miraculous healing. Afterward, he dedicated his life to building a museum and garden in honor of the Lord. It is located in Gatlinburg, TN, and we recently took our family there.

You can read about it here:http://www.christusgardens.com/

[quote name='return2truth' date='May 12 2005, 08:05 AM'] Well, I guess their logic would be: Catholics are wrong, Mary wouldn't possibly appear before the unfaithful, therefore, the apparitions must be a lie, optical illusion, hallucination or a real phenomena from a deceptive force: Satan. [/quote]
Yeah, exactly. They think we're not Christians and that we actually worship Mary as a god. They think she was just a tool used by God and has no place in salvation history whatsoever. Any visions of her are considered either something made up by the person or the devil showing himself to the person in the form of Mary. They don't believe God allows the saints and Mary to hear our prayers and consider the fact that we pray to the saints and Mary as proof that we're not Christians. And because they don't believe that He allows that, they don't believe He would ever in a million years let Mary show herself to anyone as a "representative" of Him(sorry, can't think of a better word right now).

It's true what people say though.....our veneration of Mary is one of the hardest things for a Protestant to overcome before they can convert. They basically outright reject anything having to do with Mary other than she carried the child Jesus in her womb for 9 months. After that, she doesn't matter to them.

They often quote the Bible verse where it says that even satan can appear as a being of light. The Blessed Mother however is not some ambiguous being of light but the Mother of God and I highly doubt that Jesus would allow His most beloved Mother to be impersonated and used by the devil to lead people astray.

[quote name='LSW' date='May 12 2005, 07:22 PM'] They often quote the Bible verse where it says that even satan can appear as a being of light. The Blessed Mother however is not some ambiguous being of light but the Mother of God and I highly doubt that Jesus would allow His most beloved Mother to be impersonated and used by the devil to lead people astray. [/quote]
good point :)

return2truth

[quote name='SarahB' date='May 12 2005, 01:22 PM']

It's true what people say though.....our veneration of Mary is one of the hardest things for a Protestant to overcome before they can convert. They basically outright reject anything having to do with Mary other than she carried the child Jesus in her womb for 9 months. After that, she doesn't matter to them. [/quote]
I couldn't imagine a form of Chrisitanity that didn't revere and honor those who helped to pave the way to a better understanding and mastery of Our Lord's mysteries.

[quote name='return2truth' date='May 12 2005, 09:39 PM'] I couldn't imagine a form of Chrisitanity that didn't revere and honor those who helped to pave the way to a better understanding and mastery of Our Lord's mysteries. [/quote]
I don't know how they do it either. But I remember talking to my pastor about Mary when I was a Protestant. He basically said that she didn't matter. If she would have said no, God would have found someone else. Whoever carried Jesus was just a tool. Doesn't make God out to be very nice, in my opinion(Here...carry my Son and then scram) but *shurgs* they find someway to do it.

[quote name='LSW' date='May 12 2005, 06:22 PM']The Blessed Mother however is not some ambiguous being of light but the Mother of God and I highly doubt that Jesus would allow His most beloved Mother to be impersonated and used by the devil to lead people astray.[/quote]
Well, as I heard there were strange things in Lourdes (after the real apparition of Mary to Bernadette) - some apparitions, which were clearly either diabolic or hallucinations.

I still stick to the local bishop (and the Church) when it comes to the apparitions. I guess it is the most safe.
Because even if the bishop would be wrong in judging the certain apparition, I am still on the right way if I obey him. :)

[quote name='kateri05' date='May 13 2005, 03:02 AM']Lourdes is one of the few approved apparitions tho..  so i would doubt demonic activities there![/quote]
No, I don't mean that the apparition of Mary to Bernardette is false or diabolic.
But afterwards many other people had "visions" and some were strange - not to mention that the Church (or a bishop) didn't approve any of them (I mean, beside the one to Bernardette).
You can check the site: [url="http://www.theotokos.org.uk/pages/unapprov/falseapp/flourdes.html"]http://www.theotokos.org.uk/pages/unapprov...p/flourdes.html[/url]

My point was that devil might appear as Mary or Jesus or ...

I like Lourdes! :) And love Mother Mary!!! :hearts:

stargirl3:16

[quote name='Gal. 5:22,23' date='May 12 2005, 07:48 AM'] For example, back in the 60's, a man had an encounter with Christ and experienced a miraculous healing. Afterward, he dedicated his life to building a museum and garden in honor of the Lord. It is located in Gatlinburg, TN, and we recently took our family there.

You can read about it here:http://www.christusgardens.com/ [/quote]
I've been there too! Isn't that Face of Christ stone awesome?

Gal. 5:22,23

[quote name='stargirl3:16' date='May 13 2005, 11:14 AM'] I've been there too! Isn't that Face of Christ stone awesome? [/quote]
It's incredible. You all can see it here:

[url="http://www.christusgardens.com/about_christus_gardens.html"]http://www.christusgardens.com/about_christus_gardens.html[/url]