An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confession scares the living day lights out of me!

G-Freak12

Hey pham.... I was just wondering what confession for teh first time was like for anyone... I do NOT have the guts to go to a preist and say my sins and then face him later that is something that scares me.... facing him after the confession... :s.... What advice do you have??? I also am scared that he would tell someone... you will probably say "he's a preist he wouldn't do that he took the vows etc" BUT i have heard of police officers getting arrested.... for drug use, sexual assault etc.... you would never think in a million years a cop would do something of that nature because well of course that person is a cop.... I still think something like that could happen with a preist... he would tell someone... I've also heard of stories and im sure pretty much everyone here has too, of preists sexuallu assaulting people.... :S!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOO confused... and oh yeah btw(by the way) I only have access to the school computers at lunch on tuesdays and thursdays although i may get the occasional period off

For the first time, I was rather scared, but then again, I didn't understand it fully, and that's not good.

Remember that it's Christ you're confessing your sins to, the priest is there representing Christ. If it helps, close your eyes, and imagine Christ sitting there right in front of you. Also, you can even talk like you're talking to Christ, the priest will understand. Or you could tell the priest that you want to say your sins the way you would talk to Christ normally.

No priest will EVER tell ANYBODY, anyone's sins, do not worry about that!

stargirl3:16

I know that you know that priests can't tell anyone what they hear in the confessional, but if you have the option confess behind a screen. The priest won't know who you are.

Noel's angel

I don't find Confession particularly easy myself. If you don't want to go to a priest that you will see again, why don't you go to a different parish? If you can't do that, go to your own priest and tell him your concerns-he will understand. Yeah, some priests have sexually abused people, but that is only a minority, you have to learn to trust people who have committed themselves to working for God. Generally, a priest will ease you into Confession, he might talk about your hobbies etc. to get you more comfortable with it.

Remember, it isn't a priest you are confessing to, it is God and He knows everything anyway, so who cares if the priest thinks you have been really bad? If he did, I wouldn't think much of him as a priest. It would hurt his reputation more if he told anyone your sins.

From the Catechism:

1465When he celebrates the sacrament of Penance, the priest is fulfilling the ministry of the Good Shepherd who [color=red]seeks the lost sheep[/color], of the Good Samaritan who [color=red]binds up wounds[/color], of the Father who [color=red]awaits the prodigal son and welcomes him on his return[/color], and of the [color=red]just and impartial judge [/color]whose judgment is both just and merciful. The priest is the sign and the instrument of God's merciful love for the sinner.

1466 The confessor is not the master of God's forgiveness, but its servant. [color=red]The minister of this sacrament should unite himself to the intention and charity of Christ[/color]. He should have a proven knowledge of Christian behavior, experience of human affairs, [color=red]respect and sensitivity toward the one who has fallen; he must love the truth[/color], be faithful to the Magisterium of the Church, and [color=red]lead the penitent with patience toward healing and full maturity[/color]. He must pray and do penance for his penitent, entrusting him to the Lord's mercy.

1467 Given the delicacy and greatness of this ministry and the respect due to persons, the Church declares that [color=red]every priest who hears confessions is bound under very severe penalties to keep absolute secrecy regarding the sins that his penitents have confessed to him. He can make no use of knowledge that confession gives him about penitents' lives[/color]. This secret, which admits of no exceptions, is called the "sacramental seal," because what the penitent has made known to the priest remains "sealed" by the sacrament.

Remember, many of the Church's great Saints committed serious sins in their youth :)

cmotherofpirl

Confession isn't supposed to be easy. :)
Priests never reveal what is said in the confessional.
As a priest once told me prison here for not revealing a confession is nothing compared to going hell for eternity for talking.
No comparison.

Plus they have heard it all before. Seriously. Humanity is not original in its sinfulness...

thessalonian

Reflect upon the alternative, not confessing and heading down the path of destruction as I did for many years. Causing havock in the lives of someone whom I "loved" and her children. Fortunately the power of God and his sacraments can heal the damage we do. Praise God.

As for the priest telling, I know of no instance of this in 2000 years of Church history. They face excommunication for telling, yet none that I know of has. Purely the grace of God in our gossip riddled society.

Be not afraid.

Blessings

[quote name='G-Freak12' date='May 10 2005, 12:49 PM'] Hey pham.... I was just wondering what confession for teh first time was like for anyone... I do NOT have the guts to go to a preist and say my sins and then face him later that is something that scares me.... facing him after the confession... :s.... What advice do you have??? I also am scared that he would tell someone... you will probably say "he's a preist he wouldn't do that he took the vows etc" BUT i have heard of police officers getting arrested.... for drug use, sexual assault etc.... you would never think in a million years a cop would do something of that nature because well of course that person is a cop.... I still think something like that could happen with a preist... he would tell someone... I've also heard of stories and im sure pretty much everyone here has too, of preists sexuallu assaulting people.... :S!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOOOOO confused... and oh yeah btw(by the way) I only have access to the school computers at lunch on tuesdays and thursdays although i may get the occasional period off [/quote]
I had to listen to this a couple times before I could get the courage to go to confession again...

[url="http://www.catholicity.com/maryfoundation/confession.html"]http://www.catholicity.com/maryfoundation/confession.html[/url]

It helped big time, and afterward... it was like a huge burden lifted off my shoulders. It was great.

I also have a few audio tracks on my site: [url="http://www.maxbrackett.com/audio01.asp"]http://www.maxbrackett.com/audio01.asp[/url]

God Bless,
ironmonk

isnt excommunication the penalty for telling things bound under the seal of confession?
for the preist i mean......

franciscan13

id just be repeating what others have said, but i do want to tell you that theres something so amazing that happens after a good confession. take it from someone who was away from the church for many years and came back. my first confession after 10 years was so scary but i did it and came out a new man. :D do what ever you need to do to feel comfortable but just do it.

Noel's angel

I just came by this article which I think may be helpful:its a woman telling of her experience of Confession. Its definately worth a read:

[url="http://www.americamagazine.org/gettext.cfm?articleTypeID=9&textID=1296&issueID=351"]Confession[/url]

sweetpea316

Ok ok...so this is kind of off topic, but kind of not...
I'm studying for my Psychology final right now, and there is a section about health psychology. There's a whole part focusing on the benefits of confession and how it is good for your psychological, emotional, and physical health! :D
Just thought I'd share that... God bless.

MichaelFilo

I prefer to confess face to face with priests. It is scary to think about (maybe) but the more you go, the easier it is. The shame will come, true, but hiding behind a screen won't make that shame go away. That is why I prefer to confess face to face. Look at the bright sight, public confessions no longer occur.

God bless,
Mikey