An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans of the Primitive Observance

MilesChristi

littlesister

Does anyone know anything about the FPO's sister-community, the Capuchin Recollect Sisters? We all used to do the Youth 2000 Northeast gatherings together, but I understood since that they had moved to New York and maybe changed their title, as the FPO's did several years ago- from being "Capuchin Recollects" themselves to F.P.O.

• 2 weeks later...
littlesister

To answer my own question : I came across the sister-community's website. They are now called the "Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth," and are located in Pennsylvania, in the Diocese of Scranton, not in New York. While still being very contemplative and community-minded, they are more "active" than formerly, with apostolates of evangelization and youth work. "Awesome" is the word.

johnnydigit

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1495216' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:49 PM']I’ve heard that some people have been unable to commit to joining the community because the schedule wears on them. This was actually one of my concerns because I tend to sleep in whenever I can.[/quote]

that would probably be me. i just spent a week with the Benedictines and i was able to make it to every reading, starting at 5:30am. i surprised myself.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1495216' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:49 PM']Another buddy of mine visited for a week or so and missed the office of readings and morning prayer pretty much every single day that he was there because he was too lazy to get out of bed. Lol. The friars sleep on the floor with little more than a thin blanket but he brought this big luxury sleeping bag, hahahaha. Good times…[/quote]

hilarious. i was expecting myself to go to a few of the 5:30's, but was pretty sure i'd end up missing some. fortunately these ones don't do the entire office and i was able to take one or two naps during the day.

i sleep on the floor now..

luxury sleeping bag lol. thanks, this makes me feel a lot better!

johnnydigit

any more detail on the FPO in relation to the CFR's? i just sent my app to the CFR's, and i doubt i'd be able to handle the FPO's schedule, but i'd like to know what this is about.

i just got a vocation packet from the Franciscans of the Immaculate (FI), and they look very attractive. it seems like they are on par with the CFR's (orthodox, daily Rosary, adoration), except they may not live their charism in the heart of the slums. they are active-contemplative, have cloisters as well, but i think they are more missionary. they also base their spirituality on St. Maximilian Kolbe and total consecration to Our Lady. definitely worth checking out [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com/religious-life/franciscan-friars-of-the-immaculate"]http://www.marymediatrix.com/religious-lif...-the-immaculate[/url]

littlesister

The FPO's spun off the CFR's 18-20 years ago. The Sisters were either with them or not too far behind. They went back to the primitive Rule of St. Francis. Cardinal Sean O'Malley (OFM Cap. himself) was Bishop of Fall River at the time and took them in. Number-wise, they were a just a handful to begin with, then a Franciscan from another branch joined them. We attended what were probably the first ordinations for the FPO's in '91 or '92. Their seminary studies were guided by a theology prof from the FI's, who lived close by. There were about six Sisters, and they had a few discerners but no vocations of their own yet.

littlesister

P.S. Now their seminary program is at St. Mary's Seminary in Emmitsburg. They've had a house there for the last couple of years, and at last news it was doing well.

[quote name='littlesister' post='1522974' date='May 8 2008, 11:49 PM']To answer my own question : I came across the sister-community's website. They are now called the "Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth," and are located in Pennsylvania, in the Diocese of Scranton, not in New York. While still being very contemplative and community-minded, they are more "active" than formerly, with apostolates of evangelization and youth work. "Awesome" is the word.[/quote]
more about them here
[url="http://vocation-station.blogspot.com/2008/02/capuchinfranciscan-sisters-of-nazareth.html"]http://vocation-station.blogspot.com/2008/...f-nazareth.html[/url]

and
if you scroll down a page on the below link, there are a few posts about the FPOs
[url="http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com/search/label/Franciscans%20of%20the%20Primitive%20Observance"]http://romancatholicvocations.blogspot.com...ve%20Observance[/url]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2480460681_6bd6c00047_o.jpg[/img]

Edited by EJames2

Guest Waldron

[quote name='MilesChristi' post='589004' date='May 11 2005, 07:39 PM']For the past couple years I've been developing an interest in Franciscan spirituality. While continuing to discern my vocation, I've glanced around at various orders. A while back I read a brief article on a group called the Franciscans of the Primitive Observance. Apparently, they're a small group which split off from the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal in order to live an even more intense interpretation of the way of St. Francis.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any other information about them. As far as I know, they don't have a website, and I haven't been able to find any other contact information. I was wondering if any of you out there have heard of them, met one of the friars in person, or know how I might get in contact with them?

Thanks! :)[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font
My brother has been with the FPOs for 8 years or so. I just saw him the other day during a stop over before his home visit. They have friaries in Lawrence MA, Emmittsburg, MD and San Marcos, Nicaragua. All of the FPOs are currently in Lawrence for the ordinations of Br. Benedict and Br. Andrew.

johnnydigit

ya they sound very cool but i really doubt they would be for me.

1. don't think i can handle a full office of readings. i struggle when they do only half or so.
2. hitchhiking - flat feet. painful walking long distances or standing long periods.
3. need doctor checkups every month or so. not possible while on the road?

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1495216' date='Apr 8 2008, 05:49 PM']begging and dumpster diving.[/quote]

interesting. i think i could handle that. probably need a tetanus shot first though..

HolyHearts

Can anyone help me locate a group of Franciscan Sisters of the Primative
Observance (not those now in PA) who were likewise directed by Father
Kelly. The foundress, Sister Mary Clement was a member of another con-
gregation before ( the same that I was in). When I last saw them, they were
living in a large old convent in New Bedford, MA. They rose at Midnight to
pray part of the Office, slept on the floor, and spent the full morning (every-
day) in silence and personal & communal prayer. Someone told me they are
now in Bellingham, MA. I no longer live in the US.... Does anyone know
where they are now?

Saint Therese

Wow I didn't know that these former FPO sisters are the Capuchin Sisters of Nazareth. Interesting. Has anyone visited them?

Guest DonatoKnight

[quote name='HolyHearts' post='1532170' date='May 18 2008, 07:32 AM']Can anyone help me locate a group of Franciscan Sisters of the Primative
Observance (not those now in PA) who were likewise directed by Father
Kelly. The foundress, Sister Mary Clement was a member of another con-
gregation before ( the same that I was in). When I last saw them, they were
living in a large old convent in New Bedford, MA. They rose at Midnight to
pray part of the Office, slept on the floor, and spent the full morning (every-
day) in silence and personal & communal prayer. Someone told me they are
now in Bellingham, MA. I no longer live in the US.... Does anyone know
where they are now?[/quote]

They are at the cathedral in Worcester and West Warren, MA.

Our Lady of Angels Convent
Franciscan Sisters Minor
PO Box 832
West Warren MA 01092-9998

• 1 month later...
Rising_Suns

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1496130' date='Apr 10 2008, 01:46 AM']So where would you put the FI's in the comparison among these guys? I met their Sisters in Rome and they were pretty amazing. I've heard good things about the FPO's also.[/quote]

Thomist,
If I had to summarize in a word, I would say the FI are the most traditional of the bunch, whereas the CFR are the most active, and the FPO are the most primitive.

There are some videos on each community at the following site (including the Sisters of Nazareth, but no videos of the FPO yet); [url="http://www.religious-vocation.com/media_links.html"]http://www.religious-vocation.com/media_links.html[/url]

Blessings.