An Old School Catholic Message Board

Before Entrance

ForHimAlone

ForHimAlone

My best friend, Mary, is hoping to enter with the CFR Sisters in the Bronx this September. She's been desiring this for years, and she really feels like the CFRs are finally where she is supposed to be. However, she just found out that she would have to pay the cost of health insurance for her first year in the community. This is going to take a lot of money, and she doesn't know how she's going to come up with that much by September. Are there any organizations that you know of that would help out someone in Mary's situation - wanting to enter a convent but unable to cover the costs?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Knights of COlombus usually help with costs until final profession is made, but there is also the laboure foundation... they have a website, but you'd have to look it up for me...

ThyHolyLove

Here's the Laboure Foundation-[url="http://www.labourefoundation.org/"]Laboure Foundation[/url]

I've also heard of the Fraser Family Foundation, but I don't know too much about them.

Also you can tell Mary to just start askin around, her church, her school....she might be suprised! A friend of mine who entered the Nashville Sisters had a "nun shower" before she entered. People gave her stuff she needed for postulancy, but also checks for her medical insurance. I'll be praying for her!

I'm working and saving part of it in a high interest savings account for my health insurance. Granted, i now have another year to work at it, but even if it's short term, her money can sit there for a few months and make interest if people give her contributions. I have about 1700 in that account right now, and I make about 4 dollars interest a month.

Mine is through INGDirect. If anybody wants to be referred, all you need is a checking account, and if I refer you, you get 25 dollars and I get 10.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

my savings account makes about 9.00 interest sitting at the bank... :unsure: sorry...
People can help too, especially the people at church! They'd be more than happy to help, oh yeah, and prayers help big time ;)

ForHimAlone

Thank you everyone! I'm sure Mary will be thrilled to hear about these organizations.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

you never know when some person with some extra money is praying to God about what they should do with it... ;)

I hope that somebody like that helps me!

People tell stories about random rich people who ask discerning people at Mass or holy hours how much money they need and write them checks on the spot.

I'm delaying my entrance a year, and if I can't find benefactors during the next year, I will be delayed another year.

I guess it will make the vocation sweeter!

All i can do right now is pray for anybody who God might send to me as a benefactor.

Edited by jgirl

Guest ambrose

when the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window!

Jgirl, I've been thinking about this for you.

When you enter, you can't bring any of your old possessions, right? Why don't you sell them through a garage sale or ebay to raise funds? Could you get a part time job, say through a temping agency, to raise the money?

I have a feeling that if you think of as many creative ways to earn money for insurance, the money will somehow come!

I have a full time job through my mom's company. I'm also teaching 8 th grade PSR for a small stipend (15-20 dollars per class each week).

DiscerningSoul

I know I have alot of stuff, and I am planning on having a tag sale, and placing a jar out for donations, I may even ask one of my bosses to put a jar out for me when the time comes. I have heard of other people tring to pay for college asking for donations over a website.

Hope that helps.

PS-I love the "nun" shower idea!

ForHimAlone

Well, my friends and I held a bake sale at our high school today during lunch hour.... raised $100 for Mary's health insurance!! I am so excited to give her that tomorrow!! :D

That's a sweet idea! (pun intended!)

One of the girls from the youth group where I have been helping out the past two years told me she would throw me a nun shower when it was closer to when I am entering,