An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy of The Hours

D0RK4JP2

Do you pray the Liturgy of the Hours?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've gotten really bad about keeping up with my LotH lately, guys. Could someone please tell me what week we're on again? Thanks.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jul 5 2005, 05:44 PM']It's also complete in the three-volume.
[right][snapback]632486[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Is there a source you can name.
I spoke to a friend of mine who is a monk. He is asking for more info.

This is the first time he is hearing about a three volume.

• 3 months later...

the divine office, i have found, is a source of comfort and security in my prayer life. it is hard to explain this to people, but i feel as if my prayer is complete after I have prayed the office. do you guys get the same feeling??

Guest Rick777

[quote name='Wynd' date='Jul 24 2005, 09:13 PM'][url="http://catholicinsight.com/online/church/liturgy/new_mass.shtml"]http://catholicinsight.com/online/church/l.../new_mass.shtml[/url]
[right][snapback]657824[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I love the new translation!!!!!!! Kudos to the Holy Father!

[quote name='dspen2005' date='Nov 16 2005, 08:13 AM']the divine office, i have found, is a source of comfort and security in my prayer life.  it is hard to explain this to people, but i feel as if my prayer is complete after I have prayed the office.  do you guys get the same feeling??
[right][snapback]790184[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Yup, :love: it is a very cosy feeling. I find it amaxzing that so many others are praying the same prayers throughout the world - and I'm joining in!!!

I love th LOTH!!!! I was introduced to it by the 3rd Orer of St. Fancis Sisters in June of 04. Sicne then i loved and wanted to say it. i didnt realize at the time there was a webiste that has it. day by day so one coul say it. everytime i would visit a community the HIGLIGHT for me was saying the LOTh with the Sisters. I was use to speaking it until i was with the Carmelites. They sign it AND it is more beautiful sung than spoken. Now i say it at my computer over the internet when i get a chance, but mainly night prayer!!!

franciscanheart

a friend of mine introduced me to it. she had entered the carmelites at one point but felt called somewhere else. it was however her time with the carmelites that allowed her love of the Divine Office to grow. she introduced it to me. her love of it and enthusiasm for it helped me to embrace it as well. i am so thankful for that.

MC IMaGiNaZUN

I am not bound by canon law yet but i need it.

One of the really cool things about it, is unlike other formal prayers, we pray it in union with the universal Church, and more importantly Christ, who offers prayers as the Most High Priest to the Most High God!!!

SHALOM

• 3 years later...
AccountDeleted

Does anyone pray the Latin version of the Office? I have just moved into a house with another ex-nun, and she has the Brevarium Romanium and it has the Latin on one side and the English on the other. I also saw for sale, a copy of the Carmelite Latin Breviary and so wish I could afford to buy it. I just wondered if anyone here actually recites the Office in Latin? I know my new SD and confessor both do, but they are FSSP priests, so that makes sense.

I am now attending the Latin Mass and starting to get more interested in everything in Latin, so the Office is just the next logical step I guess. But I am a little intimidated at having to learn to navigate it (not the total comprehension, that will come with time, or even the pronounciation because I am ok with most of that) because it took me a while to learn how to navigate through the 3 volume Divine Office, and to add in the Carmelite propers, so to start all over again in Latin - whew! :blink:

I do want the version with the English side by side though because I like to know what I am saying. I heard that when St Therese was asked how she could pray the Office in Latin when she didn't understand it, she replied that she was speaking to God, and He understood it, so she didn't have to! :rolleyes: But I still like to know....

Just noticed an older post that asked about the 3 volume set. This is the one used in Commonwealth countries like England, Singapore, Australia, and at least one Carmelite convent in Canada, although I think most of them use the US 4 volume LOH instead. I prefer the 3 volume Divine Office because of the translations, but the 4 volume LOH is easier to navigate in a way because it only has one set of pages numbers whereas the 3 volume Divine Office has three sets of page numbers, starting over again each time. For example, it has a page 123 and then a page [123] in brackets and then a page 123* with a star - all for different sections, so at first this threw me a little. But now I just love it, and pray the whole Office every day if at all possible. As someone else said, sometimes I don't always pray the hours at the right times, and might have to pray more than one hour together, but it is so beautiful and really warms my heart. I do chant a little in plainsong, but would love to know Gregorian chant as well. The Mass, the Office and the Rosary are just such rich ways to honor God and offer Him praise during the day. :pray: We are very blessed to be Catholic.

Edited by nunsense

I've never seen the 3 volume set. I would love to pray the Carmelite Brievary... however, I'm a little hesitant to pray in Latin because I would like to know what I'm reading/praying. That's my only 'hangup'.

I do, however, have as a bookmark to eventually get the Proper for the Carmelite Breviary.

[quote]I love the new translation!!!!!! ! Kudos to the Holy Father! [/quote]

You may have also heard about the new Apostolic Constitution regarding Anglicans. I have been to an Anglican Use parish (that is, fully Catholic, but with permission to use parts of the Anglican Liturgy) and it is almost identical to the new translation. To be more accurate, the "new" translation is really more of a return to the former translation. It makes you scratch your head and wonder how the Novus Ordo was ever approved. Bishops are intelligent men and well-educated men. We, the people, are comprised of a range of abilities and education. I can understand how the lay folk might not know the innacuracies of the Novus Ordo, but surely the bishops knew... and one has to wonder, "Why?"[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/ohno.gif[/img]

[quote name='nunsense' date='16 November 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1258422352' post='2004052']
Does anyone pray the Latin version of the Office? I have just moved into a house with another ex-nun, and she has the Brevarium Romanium and it has the Latin on one side and the English on the other. I also saw for sale, a copy of the Carmelite Latin Breviary and so wish I could afford to buy it. I just wondered if anyone here actually recites the Office in Latin? I know my new SD and confessor both do, but they are FSSP priests, so that makes sense.

I am now attending the Latin Mass and starting to get more interested in everything in Latin, so the Office is just the next logical step I guess. But I am a little intimidated at having to learn to navigate it (not the total comprehension, that will come with time, or even the pronounciation because I am ok with most of that) because it took me a while to learn how to navigate through the 3 volume Divine Office, and to add in the Carmelite propers, so to start all over again in Latin - whew! :blink:

I do want the version with the English side by side though because I like to know what I am saying. I heard that when St Therese was asked how she could pray the Office in Latin when she didn't understand it, she replied that she was speaking to God, and He understood it, so she didn't have to! :rolleyes: But I still like to know....
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure Resurrexi prays the Office in Latin. I recall him telling me the Monastic Diurnal was a good breviary in Latin/English. You might ask him about it. He actually started a thread in Open Mic awhile back about the different Latin versions.

Pope Benedict was encouraging communities to go back to praying the Office in Latin in Summorum Pontificum. I was a little apprehensive about that, if it were to ever happen, because I also feel like I "get more" out of it when it's in English. But, at the same time, I thought the same about the Mass as well, until I actually experienced it. But I actually think I get more out of it when it is in Latin... the mystery is such an important element. ^_^

I remember Father Goodwin from the FSSP giving the sisters lesson at OLAM and he mentioned praying the Office in Latin. He talked about a community he knew that had made the switch from the English to the Latin Breviary, and he admitted it was difficult. At first, the community decided they would start to learn Latin in order to understand it, but eventually, most of them came to realize they appreciated it more when they DIDN'T understand all of the Latin. It allowed certain phrases, certain words to jump out at them for meditation. I've grown to understand much more the value of not trying to focus on the mental aspect of prayer, but letting it be more with the heart... but I still do like the English!

I just started praying the Office again... I'm so happy! :yahoo: I had tried a little here and there with Universalis but had a hard time praying online, and borrowed someone's old Christian Prayer to try that out, and then decided to hold off on buying one until the new translation came out. But then my confessor suggested that I start praying a couple of the hours again, and encouraged me to try out the Pauline Christian Prayer, which was just the impetus I needed to just go ahead and do it.

I'm really impressed with the Daughters of St. Paul one volume. I thought it would bug me to go from the four volume to a one volume, and I was initially planning on just using the one volume for now and getting the four volume when the new translation comes out. But I think I'll probably stick with the one volume, actually. Really other than having only a partial Office of Readings, it's very complete... and I can get the Readings for the OR online. I like the style too... the artwork is alot nicer than the funky modern art stuff in the Catholic Publishers Volume.

I really want to get the Franciscan supplement now, but it seems like its out of stock everywhere, or the places that usually sell them have gone out of business. :(

I fell in love with the Office when I was an aspirant at OLAM. It's so beautiful... being the voice of the Church as she prays to her Lord and Bridegroom... It's wonderful that it is becoming more common for lay people to pray it. Sanctifying ordinary life, and time with the rhythm of the Church's liturgical life is so awesome. :love:

Edited by zunshynn

Marie-Therese

Baronius Press is in the process of doing a revised 1962/1963 Latin and English 3 volume breviary based on the Collegeville. Here's a link so that you can view the project and you can sign up for email updates on publication dates on their site. :)

[url="http://www.baroniuspress.com/forthcoming_books.htm"]Baronius Press[/url]