An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Masturbation A Mortal Sin?

vianney

Jake Huether

It is a mortal sin objectivly speaking. Of course we all know the condition for it to become an actual mortal sin. The sinner must 1st know it is mortal.

It is mortal because it falls under the catagory of lust, which is one of the seven capital sins.

Brother Adam

I've always wondered- is any sin a mortal sin if it meets the requirements of foreknowledge that it is sinful and it is done with intent? Or is there a specific list of sins somewhere that can be mortal?

Adam,

Check out this link to the Catechism.

http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s1c1a8.htm#1855

Mortal sins are grave sins and seperate us from God. Venial sins damage that relationship. The link takes you right to the section discussing this and also gives the 3 requirements for a sin to be mortal, which is 1.)Grave, 2.)Intentional, 3.)With knowlege.

Many Catholics use Grave/Mortal interchangebly. It's hard to seperate the two because once you learn a sin is Grave, it is Mortal if you choose to commit it.

Brother Adam

Okay, but that still doesn't answer the questions: what sins can be considered grave enough that they can be mortal?

Lying?

Cheating?

slapping my mother?

Masturbating?

Missing church?

not going to the doctor when I'm suppose to?

It must be about a Grave matter. The first clue is whether or not it violates the 10 Commandments. "CCC1858: Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: "Do not kill, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and your mother." The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger."

To judge a sin, you must consider if it violates the 10 commandments in a way that destroy charity and love for others. Slapping your Mother with intent would definitely be Mortal, slapping her because of lack of control is less likely so. Missing Church intentionally is, accidently missing is not.

Masturbation is grave because it turns the gift of sexuality inward towards oneself. It can foster disorderd sexual mores and can easily become Mortal. Now a younger person who has devolped the habit might struggle mightly with overcoming the habit. It's up to God to disern their heart and judge their efforts and ability to overcome the habit.

Not going to the Doctor can be grave if you have a serious illness and you are recklessly endangering the life God gave you. It is even more grave if others are dependent upon you as well, such as a spouse, or children.

Lying was discussed in another thread and depending on the circumstances can be Mortal. The same with Cheating.

Brother Adam

I'm taking it then that there really isn't any "list" out there, but it is a senario by senario deal?

Yeah, in a way. Ignorance gets you out of a little culpability, but purposeful ignorance does not.

It's one thing to say 'I didn't know any better.'

But God knows if "You should have known better, but you chose not to learn."

"Joining the Masons or other secret society"

This is said to be a mortal sin. I understand why joining the masons is, but, for the rest, do they mean other secret societies that are anti-catholic/satanic?

Funny you mention that...I had a long conversation with a friend about the masons today. But say...a sorority/fraternity...how is that sinful (if it's a good one that is...)?

Joyful,

You are right, the term "secret socieites" does mean clandestine organizations that are anti-Catholic. The term came into being in the 1700's to describe Masonry and other (at the time) outlawed occult organizations, like the Illuminati, the Rosicrucians (sp), etc... I don't think a sorority or fraternity would be classified as a secret society

Vianney,

Yes, masturbation is a mortal sin.

Theologian in Training

Yes, it is a mortal sin because it goes against nature, and therefore frustrates the divine plan. How? by the fact that it divorces the sexual act from that which it was ordered to, namely, procreation, with an openness to life. Masturbation completely denies this openness to life because it denies the act of intercourse, which by its very definition presupposes a recriprocal union.

The CCC does take into account whether it has become habitual, but in and of itself masturbation is a mortal sin.

God Bless

Why does masturbation being habitual stop it from being a mortal sin? If killing people was habitual for me would it be less sinful?

Why does masturbation being habitual stop it from being a mortal sin?  If killing people was habitual for me would it be less sinful?

I don't think the fact that it's habitual makes it less sinful, but the fact that it may be a disorder for some people.

A person's mental state or inability to reason would make killing someone less sinful than a person who was in a perfect mental state with the intent to commit malicious murder.

A person who knows that masturbation is a sin and makes a conscience decision to masturbate anyway, in direct opposition to God's will, is guilty of a mortal sin. If that person is married, they are guilty of infidelity to their spouse.