An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Masturbation A Mortal Sin?

vianney

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/...ion/pc0012.html

http://www.petersnet.net/browse/1024.htm

http://sycophants.info/overpopulation.html

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/...ion/pc0013.html

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/over...rpopulation.asp

Here are just a few sources that say just the opposite about overpopulation...the US and Europe and its contraceptive mentality are contracepting ourselves out of existance....and we are forcing this on other countries calling it "population control".

Alright, I already study anthropology...so I know exactly how many sources there are on this topic. I just ran about and found some sources that are neutral..i.e. non-denominational sites...and sites which are non partisan population control/related issues.

There's even a course specifically on it at U of T

http://www.geog.utoronto.ca/programs/geog/...323_2003-04.htm

Actually, First let me state what I already know before citing sources. There have been approximately three significant shifts in world culture which resutled in radical growth of our population the last being the Industrial Revoution. It took a long time before we reached the first billion people and in less than 200 years that doubled.

We all know population growth is exponential so, it is next to impossible to refute this unless it is possible to prove that people are just not having sex...or just really infertile.

6 Billion People + People having sex = More people.

Here are some more links:

http://www.ecology.com/ecology-public-heal...population1.htm

http://www.harc.edu/global_commons.html

(Monsanto is a nasty Multinational which bio-patents seeds using the need to feed people for silly ends...my point against them is...the end doesn't justify the means...sustainable development works just as well)

http://www.monsantoindia.com/biobasic/biobasic.html

From the United States Geological Survey: It's an article on sustainable development..but almost any article on sustainable development comments on population growth here's the link

http://www.usgs.gov/public/press/public_af...ses/pr890m.html

An excerpt from some Joe's research at Yale University

http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units...98.07.06.x.html

O.K., Is it just me...or does it seem only practical that in the long run less people be having sex...

if all this foreplay should lead to intercourse...

and if intercourse is only to lead to childbirth...

then aren't we in trouble?

Not all intercourse leads to childbirth. A female is only fertile for only a few days of her entire cycle (2-3 days).

A few points, Free Soul.

No body is denying that the parents decision to have children should responsibly consider their ability to raise and care for the child.

NFP is a morally acceptable method of responsibly controlling conception. Masturbation is not.

As populations have increased, technology has also increased food production and resource distribution. Most famines are not caused strictly because of natural deficiencies such as droughts. They are caused by political problems with distributing food resources to naturally stricken areas.

We are not alone on this world. God is here with us. He works wonders through us when we cooperate with Him. We shouldn't be ignorant about our responsiblities, but there's no point in being overly pessimistic.

cmotherofpirl

So sites that are non -demoninational are truthful , and the Catholic Church site' s are not?

THe problem is not too many people, the problem is the unfair distribution of resources and technology.

The countries listed that have a high birthrate also have extrememly high death rates as well.

Yup...shes only fertile for a few days...but how many woman on earth have children?

This has nothing to do with contraception for me. I don't like it or need it.

This has nothing to do with abortion for me. I don't like that either.

This has nothing to do with wealth distribution for me...if we use a sustainable development approach to wealth, it won't matter.

So don't say that I'm trying to support some agenda. I'm not. I am however concerned with academic credibility.

Also....

I trust someone who studies the subject over someone who is catholic and researches it. Catholics have a reason to state that the population is declining rapidly...that 'we're in danger of extinction' or whathaveyou....there is a Catholic agenda.

People who want contraception obviously use the 'population bomb' thing to suppor their agenda too.

But joeschmo at Yale doesn't care. S/he is more interested in the numbers and the credibility of their research....therefore I trust them first.

If Catholics are going to avoid using birth control...and start having sex...they should be doing so in the realm of reality...if there is going to be at some point...be it in 100 years...or 1000....a doubling of the population....and eventually it WILL happen they should also be concerned for the future generations because it only makes sense. Of course all this can be done within the scope of choosing a suitable vocation.

NOTE: There are much larger organisations than the sites listed below which address the reality of population growth such as Caritas International which is the official development agency of the Church. These groups are much more equiped to do research on these topics...just as universities and ngo's are...

Oh and one more thing....

I wasn't advocating masturbation as a method of birth control. Just saying that if we are only going to be having sex...and only for the sake of life in relationship...that we need to consider the concequences....in a realistic framework. I don't think that's pessimistic.

So sites that are non -demoninational are truthful , and the Catholic Church site' s are not?

In a nutshell, no....but they are less accurate. I prefer accuracy to an agenda which just sounds nice to me. I need to question even my own thoughts.

THe problem is not too many people, the problem is the unfair distribution of resources and technology.

I agree...SEE: This has nothing to do with wealth distribution for me...if we use a sustainable development approach to wealth, it won't matter.

The countries listed that have a high birthrate also have extrememly high death rates as well.

That's true CMom, but whether it takes 100 or 1000 years the reprocussions will be the same unless we address the problem from a realistic standpoint. Unless a giant group of people get wiped out by a tsunami....the population will continue to grow.

cmotherofpirl

So you assume that the "academic" doesn't have an agenda , and the catholic does.

THat is incredibly naive.

There are lies, beaver dam lies, and statistics.

Isn't Yale the university where they keep a professor who thinks we should be able to kill our children until they are a month old? Or is that a differnet one of our vaunted institutions.

Isn't Yale the university where they keep a professor who thinks we should be able to kill our children until they are a month old?

Yup...and at Western did you see what happened to the professor who tried to 'academically explain' that asians were smarter than caucasians who were smarter than african people? Did you see what happened to him?

I always believe people have agendas...but an academic is only as effective as s/he is credible. And a Catholic doesn't need to care..or fear losing their job over it in the same way an academic does....there are too many checks and balances for academics.

I'm too much of a skeptic to be naiive.

cmotherofpirl

Once a professor has tenure, they practically answer to no one, except the politcally correct.

Catholics answer to God.

Once a professor has tenure, they practically answer to no one, except the politcally correct.

Very true, but no one has to listen to them...and they like that....and public debate continues. There is no debate in the external forum of the Church. Either you're with the Magesterium or you're not Catholic. There IS a party line.

Catholics answer to God.

Ultimately, when they die - but no one's stopping them now!

If the world wants to stop growing it's population, let it. Catholics will just take over.

Freesoul, you seem to be a fan of science over theology. Have you ever heard of any other species of animal concerned about overpopulation? Which other species of animal is extinct due to overpopulation? Is population control a natural "instinct"?

I took a trip to Houston the other day. It was a four hour drive through Texas. You may find this hard to believe, but I saw a LOT of empty space for people to fit. Go figure.

Oh and one more thing....

I wasn't advocating masturbation as a method of birth control. Just saying that if we are only going to be having sex...and only for the sake of life in relationship...that we need to consider the concequences....in a realistic framework. I don't think that's pessimistic.

Who wasn't saying that adults should be responsible. Who was saying that responsiblilty wasn't part of it? :huh:

I always believe people have agendas...but an academic is only as effective as s/he is credible. And a Catholic doesn't need to care..or fear losing their job over it in the same way an academic does....there are too many checks and balances for academics.
What? What checks and balances? Tenure is tenure. Maybe other academics in the same particular field might hold disparaging opinions, but irresponsible opinion is rampant in academia as is evidenced by many examples. Intellectual honesty in academia is a myth. :P

I'm too much of a skeptic to be naiive.
Really? I'm too much of a skeptic to think that I and others might not be naiive. :P

Not all intercourse leads to childbirth.  A female is only fertile for only a few days of her entire cycle (2-3 days).

Can someone slowly explain to me the moral difference between sexual intercourse while the woman is not fertile and mutual masturbation at any point in her cycle?

I'm just asking 'cos I'm dumb, not trying to make any kind of point.

Edited by _bc