An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion in a relationship

the_rev

Should religion matter when one first starts a relationship?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KizlarAgha

Of course. We should only date seriously for the purpose of future marriage and expecting someone to convert is dangerously unlikely. Of course, we should pray and hope for the conversion of non-Catholics, but expecting it is a bad idea.

geetarplayer

I think couples should be able to worship together. Personally, I would like to marry a Catholic girl. If you're thinking casual dating and not courting, though, then I guess religion really doesn't matter.

-Mark

Thy Geekdom Come

I plan on marrying a good Catholic girl. Anyone else just wouldn't be the same.

...hehe...God bless double meanings...

I can't imagine marrying a non-Catholic, but I figure love comes from God, so if I fall in love with a non-Catholic, it's not really my decision.

lil bull 04

i think religion should matter. i know it did and still does to me even though my significant other is a protestant.

ForHimAlone

The first goal of any relationship should be sanctification and helping each other to come closer to God. I can't really imagine being in a relationship with someone who wasn't Catholic and didn't love the Eucharist. Just look to God as the main purpose in your relationship, and you can decide whether to enter into said relationship or not.

let_go_let_God

Religion does matter to me greatly in a relationship. My boyfriend and I try to pray as much as possible together, participate in mass, and other activities that help us grow in our faith. And I strongly believe that dating is like an interactive interview for marrage.

God bless-
LGLG

Well, ummm I dont really want yalll to get mad at me, but i'm goin to say no. Let me ask yall its what can you get out of datin that you can't get out of friendship. Well that was my answer but presonal yes it does religion should matter.

Of course it matters the_rev, as Church Militant I think you know that. Dating is preparation for possible marriage.

If you're serious about the Faith, it had better matter! A serious dating relationship should be open to the possibility of marriage. The other person should be a Catholic, or a least be open to the possibility of accepting the Catholic Faith. If there is doubt, these things should be sincerely discussed early in the dating relationship. If religion is glossed over, very serious issues can arise down the road, particularly when one starts a family. The Church opposes mixed marriages for this reason.

[quote name='Luthien' date='May 30 2005, 08:45 PM'] I dated a non-catholic.

It sucked.

Im in the market for a strong fervent Catholic. [/quote]
Ditto. -_-

^_^