An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion in a relationship

the_rev

Should religion matter when one first starts a relationship?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

it takes 3 for a relationship to be successful: God at the pinnacle, and the man and woman looking up together will become drawn together.

if you leave out God, it certainly is not a relationship that will be successful, i certainly know how that goes

i got involved with a non-catholic and it was...sucky. he didn't want to date me specifically because i'm catholic...erf. broke my heart, but now i realize how important it really is. my ideal relationship is someone i can go to daily mass with...can't really do that so much with a non-catholic.

franciscanheart

i think it should definitely matter but i would not think down on someone who married a non-catholic especially since everyone i know who has done this ended up having their spouse come to the Church.

me... ill definitely be looking for a Catholic guy (and a super holy one at that) if and when i start looking.

God Conquers

oh ya.

I never want another girl performing a pagan ritual for me.

Bat-heads smell funny.

Ash Wednesday

I wouldn't say religion has to matter on the *first* date necessarily, like if it's just coffee and getting to know somebody, but down the road it will matter.

back in high school, i used to think it didn't really matter if my boyfriend was catholic or not, so long as he was a good christian. but after being attacked for my faith and learning more about it, my convictions became stronger and finding a man who is a good catholic became more important to me because i realized how hard it would be for the both of us if he wasn't. that doesn't necessarily mean i'm totally closed off to dating/courting/marrying a noncatholic if God wills it to be, but for now i'm trying to find a good catholic man. ^_^

back in high school, i used to think it didn't really matter if my boyfriend was catholic or not, so long as he was a good christian. but after being attacked for my faith and learning more about it, my convictions became stronger and finding a man who is a good catholic became more important to me because i realized how hard it would be for the both of us if he wasn't. that doesn't necessarily mean i'm totally closed off to dating/courting/marrying a noncatholic if God wills it to be, but for now i'm trying to find a good catholic man. ^_^

KobeScott8

Religional (I think I just made a word) differences can cause big problems in the future if not adressed at the beginning.

Mrs. Bro. Adam

1. Dating is the preperation for marriage.
2. As a Catholic we're required to be open to life.
3. What happens if you have a kid? Most likely, the Protestant will want to have the child raised in their faith, and the Catholic, well, we commit to have our children raised in the Catholic faith from the moment we commit our lives to Christ.

franciscanheart

[quote name='KobeScott8' date='May 31 2005, 08:16 AM'] Religional (I think I just made a word) differences can cause big problems in the future if not adressed at the beginning. [/quote]
try religious ;)

Mickey's_Girl

I agree with Ash Wednesday (you don't have to grill someone the moment you are introduced), and with Mrs. Bro. Adam. I know plenty of couples who are of different denominations (whether one of the parties is Catholic or both are Protestant) and they usually get along well until they start having kids. Then there's drama.

All of the Catholic/Protestant couples I know struggle with the difference; the only such couple I know where the spouse converted was my grandparents. Grandpa converted before marrying Grandma, and they raised their family Catholic together. :wub:

MG

homeschoolmom

I can't tell you how many couples I know for whom religion wasn't an issue...

... until they had babies.

I was also surprised how many people (usually men) there were in our RCIA class who'd been married, raising children etc. who finally were going to convert. Personally, I would not have gone into marriage that way.

Mickey's_Girl

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='May 31 2005, 03:00 PM']I was also surprised how many people (usually men) there were in our RCIA class who'd been married, raising children etc. who finally were going to convert. [/quote]
For real! A majority of the people in my RCIA class were men like that. Wow! (Good for them, though, doing the right thing.)

MG

If I get married, I would greatly hope that it would be to a faithful Catholic. Either way, God must be the center of the relationship.