An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion in a relationship

the_rev

Should religion matter when one first starts a relationship?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Norseman82

Is this a joke? Of course it does!!!!

"Seek ye first the kingdom of God..."

How many relationship problems stem from the fact that people don't put faith and morals first???

St. Catherine

NO, I would not be married right now if it mattered on the first dates. For that matter I probably would not even be Catholic now. It was Austin who introduced me to the Church and taught me pretty much everything about it. It is definately a consideration before one gets married though. (I converted before we were married.)

Yes. But don't limit yourself. Marriage can be a conversion experience. My dad was converted, because he married Mother and saw her Faith.

In my experience, no matter how much I tired, the guy I was with did not budge.

My ex was wicked stubborn.

Myles Domini

For all intense purposes yes. Indeed, marriage can be a sphere for conversion and the sanctified spouse can bring sanctification to the unsanctified. But you should get to truly know the person before you persue things on a romantic level. Understand the person, where they are coming from? Is there any chance that this person will be open to discussing the Faith if they are non-Catholic? If this person is a throughbred Kantian or Cartesian, for example, or brainwashed by the new age whats the point? I mean if the person shows sparks of interest in the transcendent and you can witness to your faith to them in a way that can develop the faith then cool. But if you keep getting the response 'it works for you not for me' leave it...

Good question to ask [i]somewhere[/i] down the line:

"If you got married to someone who had a faith committment different to your own. Would you be willing to raise your children in your spouse's religion?"

Christ's Knight

I dont know who's quote I am stealing, but I LOVE it! "Women should hide her hearts in God so men have to go There to find it".

[color=blue]Both of my grandmothers converted to Catholicism after marrying my Grandfathers, where were either Italian or Slovak, and thus, quite Catholic. I think it's interesting we're talking about it like this. As KizlarAgha said,

[quote]Of course. We should only date seriously for the purpose of future marriage and expecting someone to convert is dangerously unlikely. Of course, we should pray and hope for the conversion of non-Catholics, but expecting it is a bad idea. [/quote]

We shouldn't just [i]expect[/i] someone to convert, but didn't, a few generations back, you kinda had to? My grandmother talks about it as if it was obvious - you took the religion of your husband then. Clearly it's not that way now. What other questions that opens up for us! [/color]

shelly_freak

I can't exactly settle on a yes or no answer for this. My first instinct is yes, it matters alot. On the other hand my parents have been happily married for almost 25 years and my dad's not catholic. Then again some of the things they've done in the past I don't quite agree with (although I understand their reasons and they are logical) but at the same time if my father was the same kind of catholic as my mom it wouldn't be any diffrent.

In short I guess I'd say that it makes a diffrence but at the same time I think it's all up to love. Even if you don't convert them maybe you led them towards a better life, and isn't that what God would want?

FightingforGod

most definately. why?
2 reasons

A. our "significant other" has a profound influence on us. we want that influence to be good, so dating someone with same values is a must!

B. since we are dating for future marriage, would you want to give up your faith for them, if they downright refuse to cinvert? no way!

I've learned through personal experience that it's not enough to just both be Catholic, you have to approach the faith in a similar way.
Even two Catholics who are obedient to the Church can have differences in belief that pull the relationship apart.

sweetpea316

[quote name='Christ's Knight' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:03 PM']I dont know who's quote I am stealing, but I LOVE it! "Women should hide her hearts in God so men have to go There to find it".
[right][snapback]607440[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ah yes...one of my favorite quotes...
"A woman should hide her heart in the heart of God so that a man must go there to find it."

And along with this discussion... I agree that religion is definitely important in a relationship, and a common one at that! I've never dated someone whos the same religion as me, and in all cases but the most recent, its been terrible. But since God blessed me with an amazing Catholic guy in my life, even if we aren't exactly together at the moment, he has influenced me in such a huge way and introduced me to the Church. And it also made me realize that I would be willing to convert to Catholicism if I do get serious with a Catholic guy and am considering marriage and a family in the future. So yeah, its definitely something thats not to be taken lightly.

The question is not weither you can or cannot, should or should not, date people from other religions... the question is wether this should be an issue when starting a relationship.

I believe it is important to have a firm understanding between the two very early in the relationship. If the two taking part in the relationship are from diffferent religion does not matter, but a mutual respect of views and their differences is a must prior to a relationship getting too advanced. This will prevent unreconcilable differences from hurting either party down the line.

By the way, this applies as well if the two are both catholic... different views and traditions from the same religion can cause great tentions.

franciscanheart

I know a couple with different faiths. One is Jewish, the other Catholic. Their two girls were brought up with both faiths and are allowed to choose their own road. They do not 'push' one faith or the other but share them equally and show respect for both cultures.

I do not believe it put a strain on their marriage but it made it difficult for their oldest daughter. She is my age and lacks faith. Their younger daughter is my sister's age and seems to be the same way.