An Old School Catholic Message Board

Religion in a relationship

the_rev

Should religion matter when one first starts a relationship?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God leads you where He leads you for a reason...
but I have to say - it's a heck of a lot easier to really get serious (when faith is such a large part of your life) with someone who shares your faith and devotion.

I dated a Jewish guy, a Baptist guy, 2 non-denom Christians and a "fallen" I'll-go -back-to-the-Church-when-they-allow-women-to-be-priests-and-don't-require-priests-to-be-celibate kind of Catholic....

It was so wonderful to be with one where we could get into debates about things...but the foundation for both of us was the one true Church.

Easy however, doesn't always mean true or right.

Take my brother, for example...married a Missouri Synod Lutheran, and after 10 years and 3 kids, and my brother being a steadfast, faithful and joyus Catholic - (and not trying overtly to get her to "join the team") she converted.

I say, again - go where God leads you!

sweetpea316

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 9 2005, 02:11 PM']The question is not weither you can or cannot, should or should not, date people from other religions... the question is wether this should be an issue when starting a relationship.

I believe it is important to have a firm understanding between the two very early in the relationship.  If the two taking part in the relationship are from diffferent religion does not matter, but a mutual respect of views and their differences is a must prior to a relationship getting too advanced.  This will prevent unreconcilable differences from hurting either party down the line.

By the way, this applies as well if the two are both catholic... different views and traditions from the same religion can cause great tentions.
[right][snapback]608019[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ah...I like the point you make... and yes, I kinda strayed away from the topic too.
But yeah, I think it should be brought up early on and respected on both parts. I remember the second time I hung out with this guy that I was quickly smitten with and he asked me what religion I am. I said 'Lutheran, and you?' and he responded with 'Catholic'... Uh oh! I was rather worried of course, but honestly, it all went well. We have had lots and lots of talks about religion, and he's taken me to church and whatnot and really, if people keep an open mind and an open heart, things will be ok. I figured that it would be too big of a difference to overcome, but really, its helped me a lot. Now I am actually considering Catholicism myself! God bless.

franciscanheart

i would want to provide a stable, secure, unwavering foundation of Truth for my lil' saints (my children) and so i would have difficulty entering into a relationship with someone who did not feel the same way i did on certain things. especially if one of those things was faith!