An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Catholic Warrior call to arms

Specter

Well, I'm in a little over my head right now, at NarniaFans.com... you see, there's a topic called "Scripture and Tradition" that has been discussing the correlations, and it is such a broad topic that I cannot possibly cover all of it. I beckon anyone that can, to please help guide this discussion. There are only 2 Catholics in the thread, and the rest are all protestant: [url="http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754"]http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754[/url]

Hold strong, give me a chance to make an account and read through. I will do what I can... though *blush* scriptures aren't exactly my strong point. Maybe I could be a sideline cheerleader or something?

"The fact that the tradition is not exactly true take away from being divinely inspired? I would say that it matters not one iota, because the message is what is divinely inspired: that today a Son is Born, the Messiah!" wallis

That said of Christmas? They must be joking... right?

"Yes. My girlfriend's family is 100% Catholic, and they have a statue of Mary that they circulate through the Pilipino homes in the area. When the statue moves into a new home, most of the Pilipinos in the area gather around it in the new home and pray to it so it will bless the home. After a while, it moves to a new home. This is called idolatry. "

Is this a common opinion of protestants towards catholics? What did we ever do to them? (I mean, aside from calling them heretics for seperating from the church and stuff... BUT THEY STARTED IT!)

And what is your screen name? If I gonig to blast some protestant butt, I want to make sure I got a good aim... :)

"The only reason I thinkthe Church has split so many times is due to sin. Where will it strike most? In the place, which is most avidly against it" waterhogboy

Ahhh, now this is well put. And this guy is a baptist too!

"It is blasphemes to pray to "saints" to mediate our cause before God because that authority belongs only to Christ Jesus." smog

This from a guy who supports the quote: "God created all men, Samuel Colt made all men equal." Since when is Samuel Colt a prophet who helped God with His creation, or is this guy a bit of a hypocrite?

Boy, reading most of the thread, I'd love to help you out dude, but it's a little over my head. I am a simple thinking man, you understand? Good stuff, but I think the heavyweigths shuld be helping you on this... not a bottom feeder like me. I'll keep reading though... and good luck.

Thanks for giving it a chance, man! I appreciate it. Yeah, I pointed out that the Bible is the result of Catholic Tradition. Perhaps I need to remind them all of that.

Excellent. Now Euphrates thinks that the Bible doesn't support perfection in Heaven.. I am tired and probably will be going to bed soon. I know that the Bible DOES support it, I just can't remember where.

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 2 2005, 07:48 PM'] And what is your screen name? If I gonig to blast some protestant butt, I want to make sure I got a good aim... :) [/quote]
That's hilarious.

[quote name='Specter' date='Jun 2 2005, 11:53 PM'] Excellent. Now Euphrates thinks that the Bible doesn't support perfection in Heaven.. I am tired and probably will be going to bed soon. I know that the Bible DOES support it, I just can't remember where. [/quote]
I think it's in one of Paul's letters where he talks about "neither male nor female, neither Jew nor Gentile" something like that.

MichaelFilo

You called a Crusade, you got me, hope I don't dissapoint.

Your friends seem nice. Lets hope my quote from good ol' Unam Sanctam doesn't blow my cover.

God bless,
Mikey

in Revelations 21:27 it says that "nothing unlean shall enter it" speaking of heaven. here, is also revealed the difference between our view of justification and theirs. imputed vs. infused. we believe we are made clean, they are just covered up. but "nothing unclean" demands perfection.

MichaelFilo

So, I haven't checked up on it, seems Specter dropped this one.. wonder why though... I'm no good at debating with heretics, because sooner or later, I'll say it. And when it's said, it's said. And once that happens, that one Euphrates will get so mad because he can't stand it. I just know it... so Specter, I hope you come back and take me off the spotlight.

God bless,
Mikey

Edited by MichaelFilo

thessalonian

Has anyone pointed out that scripture is a TRADITION! HA! HA! HA!

Hold fast to the TRADITIONS you have recieved. Whether by word of mouth or in writing from us. 2 Thes 2:15. :rolling:

Also at a quick glance it seems they misunderstand what tradition is. It is intimately intwined with scripture, not some separate set of beliefs. It makes what is implicit in scripture explicit. Ask them if they can show where the word of God is equal to scripture. Here is my point. If a mormon believes that the verse in corinthians about batpizing the dead means we should be baptizing in proxy dead people does he have the Word of God? We can't prove he is wrong. Paul doesn't condemn the practice so from a pure logic standpoint you can't make the conclusion. So rationally speaking Christianity could baptized dead people and it could be the way the Mormon says purely from a biblical standpoing. I know the arguements against baptizing the dead of course but they are not based on what the scriptures actually say. The strongest arguement is 2000 years of historical record of Christians not baptizing dead people in proxy. Now the Mormons have the scriptures but do they have the Word of God with regard to those scriptures? It would seem not. So have them prove that the phrase "word of God" = scripture. They can't.

Edited by thessalonian