An Old School Catholic Message Board

What to do...what to do...

Thy Geekdom Come

Thy Geekdom Come

Okay, so I work at a place where my job is customer service...I meet a lot of interesting people.

One of them is a woman I'm a little worried about. She's a Catholic and knows her theology inside and out...she's orthodox, in as much as doctrine is concerned, and that's what makes her dangerous and scandalous as an insane person.

She comes in and faxes things to the Vatican City, the White House, and the Cathedral...she even sends proof to the White House that she's faxed things to the Vatican because the White House "tries to toy with her."

Well, of course, the White House isn't toying with her, they're ignoring her, and I can't blame them.

What's she faxing? She claims that she successfully predicted a massive flood and helped the US government prevent major damage, and thus, the Vatican is helping to verify it for her so that the president can pay her the $30 million he owes her. :wacko:

It gets worse. She told me that her spiritual director is the Secretary of State of the Vatican City. I mentioned Cardinal Sedano and she didn't know who that was. :mellow:

It gets worse still. She told me, "I'm very holy. I would never claim it myself, but the Holy Spirit told me that I'm as pure as the Blessed Virgin."

I'm concerned that she'll scandalize some people...I mean...when she theologically reps Catholicism, but then is crazy, it kinda reflects badly on us...

Oh, it gets even worse. She told me today, and I quote, "do you know who my enemy is? My enemy is the black race." :blink:

Yeah...she's out of her gourd...any advice?

KizlarAgha

Pray for her. She is mentally ill. If you want to take concrete action that is difficult. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone, no-one can force her to seek help. In addition, telling people they're insane never goes over well.

Err.

Um.

Shoot, I'll think about it. Obviously the woman needs prayers, and probably she needs medical help. Do you know anything about her family?

Thy Geekdom Come

Well, I know she's nutty...I'm more concerned with if there's anything the Church can do...I mean, there are somewhat anti-Catholic coworkers I have, and this doesn't help their perceptions of Catholicism.

Fides_et_Ratio

She's got orthodox theology but she doesn't know who the Vatican Secretary of State is, she's demanding money from the President of the United States, and she was conceived immaculately (for that would be as pure as the Blessed Mother)? ... I don't call that orthodox theology...

Catholic theology is an endless abyss--it just doesn't end. We can know an awful lot about very little of it.

Pray for her. And bring up the Immaculate Conception thing... and ask for her spiritual director's name (and then verify it).

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Fides_et_Ratio' date='Jun 3 2005, 08:37 PM'] She's got orthodox theology but she doesn't know who the Vatican Secretary of State is, she's demanding money from the President of the United States, and she was conceived immaculately (for that would be as pure as the Blessed Mother)? ... I don't call that orthodox theology... [/quote]
:lol:

No...I mean that in every way except in as much as theology applies to her, she's orthodox...that is, in her conceptual understanding of theology, she's orthodox...but in her practical application of it, she's crazy.

I suppose you could find out where she goes to mass and ask the pastor there if he knows anything about her -- maybe he could help? But... well, crazy is kinda hard to work with.

I can't imagine anyone thinks of her as a typical Catholic!

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 3 2005, 07:41 PM'] :lol:

No...I mean that in every way except in as much as theology applies to her, she's orthodox...that is, in her conceptual understanding of theology, she's orthodox...but in her practical application of it, she's crazy. [/quote]
Well I wouldn't worry too much about it. If people are taking their experiences with her as a reason not to become Catholic then they likely didn't need a reason to begin with.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 3 2005, 08:42 PM'] I suppose you could find out where she goes to mass and ask the pastor there if he knows anything about her -- maybe he could help? But... well, crazy is kinda hard to work with.

I can't imagine anyone thinks of her as a typical Catholic! [/quote]
She goes to Cathedral...

I've spoken with some people about her and I found out that she got in trouble when she tried to go to Mass like 10 times a day at different parishes and receive every time.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 3 2005, 07:46 PM'] She goes to Cathedral...

I've spoken with some people about her and I found out that she got in trouble when she tried to go to Mass like 10 times a day at different parishes and receive every time. [/quote]
Well. That's hardly a mark against her. I really don't think she knows what she's doing. How old is she? Is she senile or is this more of a paranoid disorder?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='KizlarAgha' date='Jun 3 2005, 08:48 PM'] Well. That's hardly a mark against her. I really don't think she knows what she's doing. How old is she? Is she senile or is this more of a paranoid disorder? [/quote]
Well, she's probably in her 50's...but I'm guessing disorder.

KizlarAgha

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 3 2005, 07:55 PM'] Well, she's probably in her 50's...but I'm guessing disorder. [/quote]
Yeah. I think prayer is the best thing. Insanity afflicts all races, genders, and religions and it woud be boorish and immature if anyone were to take it as a visible sign of the influence of Catholicism. We should all pray for her as these people are often abandoned by the world and many end up homeless. It is very difficult because when they begin talking about faxing the White House, people stop wanting to talk to them. I feel very sorry for her.

God Conquers

Just be a truer and more fervent witness to your faith to the other coworkers, as a counteralance to the insanity.