An Old School Catholic Message Board

John Paul's private secretary

Noel's angel

quote: "

``The Holy Father gave me an absolutely free hand on the matter,'' Dziwisz said. ``It is my responsibility what to keep. And I absolutely don't see that anything should be burned, destroyed,'' he said. ``I think this belongs to the Church, to the society and to the general culture.''

"

Have you people considered the possibility that what he said is true, that JP the Great did renounce his will prior to his death and gave Dziwisz authority on the final decision? If that be the case, they he is in full right to keep them.

If not, then he is not only a liar but he is committing a grave injustice to JP the Great.

I believe that Benedict XVI allowing the notes to survive is an indication that Dziwisz is acting in conjunction to John Paul's wishes, not against them.

To say that this is not so might be to unjustly question the credibility of the people closest to JP the Great. Something I would hesitate to support 9to say the least).

John-Paul the Great - forever my papa...

God Conquers

I agree, I'm sure that this is a move in conjunction witht the will of Jean Paul. Archbishop Dziwiz was sooo close to him, I'm sure he would not do something explicitly against his will. That section of the will I think was part written in the seventies. The treasures contained in his notes up to and after that point would be terrible to lose.

Jake Huether

I don't know. Unless the will specifically said to burn them immediately after his death, than he hasn't necessarily NOT fulfilled John Paul II's wishes. Just not as yet.

Remember, once they are gone, they are gone. You can't un-burn something. Maybe these notes will be necessary for his canonization? Who knows. But the fact of the matter is, if they exist, they can always be burnt later - and the will will be fulfilled (do we even know what the will specifically says in regards??). You can't un-burn something... Just a reminder.

God Conquers

[quote]You can't un-burn something... Just a reminder.[/quote]

Classic!

Jake you rock.

Would photocopying them and then burning them be against the will?

I personally wouldn't dispose of a saints personal abjects any other way... aren't they 2nd degree relics if he becomes a saint?

it's shakey... only the secretary can know for sure. if JPII himself actually told the secretary that he didn't have to follow his whole will explicitly, it's okay. to just up and declare them "property of the church, the society, and the general culture" is absolutely absurd. they are the property of JPII and if he wants them to be burned, they ought to be burned and lost forever. you can find out what he had to say in his private letters after you die and ask him yourself.

disobeying any will is serious business. I sure hope this guy knows what he is doing. I for one would feel a whole lot better if they were burned. sure, it might be interesting to read, they might be great literary works worthy of respect... but if the author wanted them burned they ought to be forever hidden from our eyes. anything else is selfishness on our part, disrespect of JPII's wishes (unless, of course, there was something explicitly said to the secretary by JPII which these quotes in the artical do not seem to indicate... i.e. it indicates he just decided the letters were too important to burn and disregarded the pontiff's written wishes), and downright theft. yeah, that's right, if it is someone's personal property and we pry into it, we are invading their privacy and stealing their thoughts. it is no better than downloading copyrighted music from the internet.

anyway, unless the secretary elaborates on how exactly JPII gave him permission to refuse a written request in his last will and testament, I'm going to respect the man enough to not read his personal letters if they become available. apparently the secretary thinks they belong to the "general culture" so they may become available in the near future? I think that would be a shame.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='God Conquers' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:35 PM']Classic!

Jake you rock.
Would photocopying them and then burning them be against the will?

I personally wouldn't dispose of a saints personal abjects any other way... aren't they 2nd degree relics if he becomes a saint?
[right][snapback]608078[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I was thinking that too.. just make copies.. lol

Mickey's_Girl

I hear what people are saying, but frankly, given how close and how loyal Dziwisz was to JPII, I doubt we have anything to worry about. If he says he was given leeway to decide, then he was.

I have long felt that it is foolish for famous people (authors, etc.) to ask that their papers be burned upon their death. If they were important enough to keep in life, why burn them upon death? If one wants to spare people mentioned in them pain, then make a request that they be sealed for a certain period of time.

I'm not addressing the question of JPII per se (with the concurrent "disobeying the Pope" issue). But I am saying that there are people whose "burn my papers" wishes didn't get granted, and I'm glad they weren't.

I don't know. I doubt I'll ever be famous enough for it to ever matter in my case; they'll all get tossed anyway. :rolling:

MG