An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is there such a thing as "the one"?

Sarah_JC

[quote name='Matty_boy' date='Jun 9 2005, 01:46 PM']I'm currently engaged to a beautiful Texas woman.  What I have realized in our three months of engagement is that marriage is about finding out that no matter how perfect you think your spouse may be, you find out more and more how IMperfect you are, and constantly try to reshape how you deal with different situations with your spouse.  Even if your spouse is being a cotton-headed ninny-muggins, there's always a right and wrong way to approach them.  Marriage (i think) is about learning the right way because you love that person and want to spend the rest of your life with that person without making either of you crazy. 

Married couples, am I on the right track?
[right][snapback]607995[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Sounds about right to me. And, as I always say, remember that the most fabulous person in the world, who is your very most favorite bestest friend...

... will always wind up being a pain in the behind if you're around them for long enough. ;)

Humility and patience get a lot of exercise. I suppose that's true for many people, but when you're bound together for life, you really do have to make it work. Which is good! I feel sad for people who, the moment there's a bit of turmoil, think they've made a horrible mistake and want to abandon their spouse.

Now that I've scared everyone away from the idea of marriage.... :rolleyes:

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 9 2005, 09:42 PM']Sounds about right to me.  And, as I always say, remember that the most fabulous person in the world, who is your very most favorite bestest friend...

... will always wind up being a pain in the behind if you're around them for long enough.  ;)

Humility and patience get a lot of exercise.  I suppose that's true for many people, but when  you're bound together for life, you really do have to make it work.  Which is good!  I feel sad for people who, the moment there's a bit of turmoil, think they've made a horrible mistake and want to abandon their spouse.

Now that I've scared everyone away from the idea of marriage.... :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]608350[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is soooo true! You have to work on a marraige to make it last. It needs humility, patience and understanding.

I belive that there are a few lucky couples out there that are "soul mates." But, for the majority of us, we have to work just a little bit harder in our relationships to make them last. But our work bears fruit in this life and especially the next.

Oh, yea. . .I know I haven't been around much. I've been up to my elbows in dirty diapers. We're trying to potty train Pete. That would be great. . .One down, two to go!

disturbedxfairy

i personally do believe that there is "the one". but on the question of what if X does not choose Y as their spouse than Y has either another vocation of is to be with Z. i believe that you have "the one" but if not choosen than life will still be happy but not as happy as if you had choosen "the one". does this make any sense?

i also believe that even those in the vocation of priesthood/sisterhood even have "the one".

Mickey's_Girl

I don't believe in "the one", and other people have explained why better than I could. I do think there are probably people who are specifically matched from birth (don't most people know a couple who's perfect for each other and *wouldn't* work for anyone else, and you think, "Gosh, if THEY could find each other, there's someone for EVERYONE!"?), but that probably doesn't hold true for everyone.

The most important thing is to trust God to take care of you, and not worry. I know this sounds trite...but I speak from personal experience. I have a strong vocation to marriage but have not yet been able to fully exercise that vocation. :) What I do know is that God has plans for me, and I need to be fully submitted to his will, wherever that may take me.

As a very dear older friend of mine used to say, "Better 25 years with the right person than 50 with the wrong one." She spoke from experience, having married in her 30s and becoming widowed in her 50s.

Hang in there, all!

MG