An Old School Catholic Message Board

This Makes Me So Mad and Sick

StColette

KTBS News Shreveport, Louisiana

[url="http://www.ktbs.com/news-detail.html?cityid=1&hid=26336"]http://www.ktbs.com/news-detail.html?cityid=1&hid=26336[/url]

Woody Hayes Sr., accused of committing a multi-million dollar fraud on an order of Catholic sisters in Shreveport in order to support a lifestyle, pleaded not guilty today to federal wire fraud and money laundering charges.

Hayes, wearing a striped prison jumpsuit, entered the plea during a brief arraignment hearing in U.S. District Court. He remains jailed under $500,000 bond and did not ask for a bond reduction. Nine supporters were in the courtroom during the hearing.

Hayes, 51, of Haughton is under federal indictment on charges he conned the Daughters of the Cross out of $3.6 million in a scheme that began with a sob story to a trusting sister that he needed money to keep from being evicted from his home.

The indictment alleges he used money he got over the next 11 months to gamble, remodel his house and buy luxury vehicles.

The name of the sister, who was the order's treasurer, has not been made public but investigators say she was an unwitting part of the alleged scheme and that Hayes preyed on her compassion and trusting nature. She believed the order would be repaid with interest, federal prosecutors said.

A civil suit filed by the Daughters of the Cross against Bank One alleges a checking account for the order was set up so that the signatures of two sisters were required before funds could be withdrawn. But 140 cash withdrawals -- one as large as $95,000 and many in the tens of thousands of dollars -- were made by one sister between February and November 2004, according to the suit.

Bank One refuses comment on the lawsuit. An employee at Bank One eventually alerted the Daughters of the Cross, who went to police.

The Daughters of the Cross and their lawyer have declined comment on the case and why they did not discover the alleged fraud sooner.

The Daughters of the Cross have been in Shreveport for more than 100 years. The order operated St. Vincent's Academy until it closed in 1988.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is so completely depressing and makes me so angry!!

MilesChristi

The librarian at my old high school is a Salvatorian, and a similar thing happened to their order. They entrusted their money to an accountant who swindled them and ran off to South America with all their money. Now many members of the order have to hold regular jobs just to stay afloat.

May God have mercy on this guy and on all people who mess with religious men and women.

Noel's angel

but hey, what's new. There is a priest in my diocese who will get you an annulment if you pay him £10,000-it doesn't only happen to the Church, but it happens in the Church too

I feel ofr the sister's treasurer, imagine how hard it must be for her to continue everyday, living amongst her peers?

As for the individual who frauded them I say:

"Vengeanc is mine!" says the Lord, but darn it can I borrow just a little?

May He who is the highest have the final word.

I believe something similar was to happen to St. Pio's monastary. He, however, refused to give money since the money donated was to his hospital and he said it wasn't his to give and got a lot of his fellow monkz mad at him. The guy ended up to be a frod tho.