An Old School Catholic Message Board

World Cup 2006

Tony

1 year from today starts FIFA world Cup 2006 in Germany. Some teams have already qualified for the tournament!

Germany (Automatic for being the hosts)
Argentina
Japan
Iran
South Korea
Saudi Arabia

team watch:

Notible teams I shall keep an eye on that are still trying to qualify
CONCACAF - top 3 of the final group of 6 advance, 4th gets another chance
Mexico 1st
USA 2nd
I have no doubt they will both make it though

Group of 10, 4 advance, 5th gets another chance

S. America
Brazil 2nd (The 2002 World Champions)
Uruguay 7th ( I know Vera is from there ;) )

Europe-UEFA , devided into 8 groups, group winners advance, 2nd gets another chance
Netherlands 1st in group 1
Turkey, 2nd in group 2
Greece 3rd in Group 2 (the Euro 2002 winners)
Portugal 1st in group 3
Ireland 1st in group 4
France 4th in group 4
Italy 1st in group 5
Scotland 5th in group 5, barely in it mathmatically
England 2nd in group 6
Spain 1st in group 7
Croatia 1st in group 8

Africa- 5 groups of 5, win your group to qualify

Senegal 2nd in group 1
South Africa 1st in group 2
Cameroon 2ns in group 3
Angola and Moroco lead the other groups

Oceania is down to Australia and Soloman Islands who will play a hone away series, winner plays the 5th place south american team in another gome away series for a spot in the World cup

This is getting exciting! Next Update will be around June 18 or 19, when some African Matches will be played

franciscanheart

I went to the world cup when it was here in dallas!! it was soooooooooo cool!! except for maybe that huge storm and the goals being thrown across the field and all... but other than that it was absolutely wonderful. ^_^

Guest Eremite

Tony,

Are you European? I've never met an American soccer fan. They're all from either Europe or Latin America.

The extent of my soccer knowledge is that the New England Revolution are undefeated, and that they're ranked higher in the world rankings than the US national team (28th overall). They should just send them to play...

I'll never understand soccer. It's so boring. Thank God for American sports!

franciscanheart

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 9 2005, 07:30 PM']Tony,

Are you European? I've never met an American soccer fan. They're all from either Europe or Latin America.

The extent of my soccer knowledge is that the New England Revolution are undefeated, and that they're ranked higher in the world rankings than the US national team (28th overall). They should just send them to play...

I'll never understand soccer. It's so boring. Thank God for American sports!
[right][snapback]608269[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:blink: did you just say.... soccer.... was boring??

please tell me that my eye sight is failing me again. surely you jest!!

im a soccer fan. im american. i want to go.

Guest Eremite

The only good thing soccer has going for it is that it's got that guy who says GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

It'll never catch on here in America. Too European.

franciscanheart

Um.... soccer is huge here in America, you just don't realize it. It isn't NASCAR, NFL, or the NBA but it is liked. I would dare say about 1 in 10 americans enjoy soccer.

Guest Eremite

Please tell me you didn't just list NASCAR along with the NFL and NBA... :unsure:

Americans don't need soccer. Soccer is just Eurohockey. They're basically the same games; both are slow and boring. But hockey is an American sport. Soccer will never supplant it.

franciscanheart

Not having a hockey team right now leaves me with nothing but soccer. and im okay with that. :)

NASCAR is just as popular as the NFL. What you so unsure about?? :P

Guest Eremite

[quote]NASCAR is just as popular as the NFL. What you so unsure about?? :P
[right][snapback]608290[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Riiiiiiiight. Nascar Bowl Sunday is a religious holiday here in America.
:getaclue: :P

franciscanheart

oh please!! DUH.

[You can't deny that the Indy 500 gets a big crowd. There was even a girl driver (the one that placed 4th) in Dallas yesterday and people lined up for as long as six to eight hours to see her.]

Ermite, this NASCAR Bowl you speak of does exist!.. Its the Daytona 500. NASCAR's Super Bowl is the 1st week of the year

I should make a note on the Asain confrence.. 4 teams are guarenteed to make it, and 4 have already qualified. its possible a 5th could make it. its 2 groups of 4, the 3rd place teams in each group face eachother, that winner faces that 4th CONCACAF team for a World Cup birth. group A Inclludes Kuwait and Uzbekistan yet in the running for 3rd place, , group B has Bahrain left and are guarenteed 3rd in that group.

CONCACAF 3.5
Europe Germany+ 13 more
S. Africa 4.5
Oceania 0.5
Africa 5
Asia 4.5
Total 32

6 spots taken so 26 more to be said for

franciscanheart

while i will be rooting for the u.s. first i still want to see argentina and brazil go far - portugal would be cool too.

DemonSlayer

The Socceroos need to make it this time, it's been 31 years since the last and only time they've made the finals.