An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Crucifix

ironmonk

Yeah, from what i've noticed, protestants normally don't wear crucifixes, they wear crosses.

In churches too, we have a crucifix, they have a cross. :D

Many consider wearing it idolitry and Ive been told that he is risen so quit showing him on the cross. You know what I did? I bout a huge gold chain and crucifix,and sport it and my scapular all the time.

it makes me sick how secular rappers today wear iced out crosses and then rap about sin.  To them a cross is a status symbol, not a symbol of Christ.  Also i hate when Brittney Spears and Christina Aguleria wear crosses on their half-naked bodies.  They tottally do not represent what the cross does.  I could go on...but ima stop

I totally agree with you. It's degrading to the cross and to Christ for them to wear it the way they do.

I wear a cross. It was given to me by someone who wasn't Catholic. It has a lot of meaning for me. I never take it off except for an ex-ray or going through a metal detector. I know I've worn it for years without it ever coming off. I only have to touch it with my hand or just feel it around my neck and I think of God's near presence. Spiritual attachement doesn't check the price tag.

I wear a crucifix at all times. It is a good reminder to keep Christ with you at all timies. Sometimes I will just reach for my necklace and hold the crucifix...it is a physical, a sense of touch...that can allow you and remind you to ponder His Passion and how He died for us. Don't just wear it to wear it and draw attention. Wear it to remind you that every time you sin or think about sinning a piece of our Lord's flesh is being torn by a whip or a nail is being driven into His hands.

You don't have to wear it on the outside your shirt. A lot of times I will have it under my shirt.

I wear a crucifix at all times.  It is a good reminder to keep Christ with you at all timies.  Sometimes I will just reach for my necklace and hold the crucifix...it is a physical, a sense of touch...that can allow you and remind you to ponder His Passion and how He died for us.  Don't just wear it to wear it and draw attention.  Wear it to remind you that every time you sin or think about sinning a piece of our Lord's flesh is being torn by a whip or a nail is being driven into His hands. 

You don't have to wear it on the outside your shirt.  A lot of times I will have it under my shirt.

I wear a cross and a small patron saint relic medal, but I never wear it on the outside. Is this wrong, b/c sometimes I feel like I have sort of domesticated Jesus and my faith by keeping it inside my shirt. I saw a priest in the airport once and his crucifix was so big it could have doubled as a processional cross! But he wore it so proudly, and it really made me feel good to see that.

Personal choice, I guess. But it might pay to consider your reasons. You might like to keep the cross close to your heart (inside your shirt) or you might like to wear it as a visible sign of your faith (outside). Up to you, really.

About 80% of the time I am wearing my crucifix. I wear it outside of my clothes. I find it is a great way to witness because I can tell most people notice it. The other 20% of the time I am either wearing crosses (my mom has given me a lot) or my St. Joan of Arc medal (like I'm wearing today).

My St. Joan of Arc medal is about the size of a half dollar, so I have a lot of people ask me questions about it.

I wear my Saint Benedict Crucifix everywhere I go, i just want to remind everyone that Christ died for them. Yes that's right I through it in their faces. There's not a day that goes by without me thinking of what Christ did for us.

Edited by MC Just

CatholicAndFanatical

lol Just your so funny.

I can see you going to a local grocery store going up to some ole lady and putting the cross in her face yelling "See! See What He did for yoouuu!!"

wow, come to think about it that would be pretty cool to do..lol

I have a St. Benedict Crucifix on my rosary, well actualy its a St. Benedict Rosary, my Priest sat me down one day and told me what the letters meant around it. Latin words. I dont remember all of them but one of them is 'C S S M L' - for 'Crux Sancta Sit Mehe Lux" or "May the Cross be my Light" err something like that..hehe, its been a while.

Thomas Michael

I have a silver crucifix hanging over the front door of my apartment (on the inside). It was used at my maternal grandmother's funeral three years ago.

Yeah i wear a crucifix, but its not made of gold or silver. Its just a metal corpus on a wooden cross with a black peiece of string. Its just a simple symbol to show that i am a christian, not some iced out status symbol.