An Old School Catholic Message Board

NEW Reference Section Discussion...

dUSt

Hi.

phat,
I was thinking about the organizational structure of the new reference section, or what we in the business like to call the "taxonomy". Once I mesh it all out, I'd like to post it here in this thread to get some feedbcak from the pham.

It will be based on the current structure, with a few slightly different organizational ideas from myself and other resources I've used in the past. It's basically a 4 tier organization structure, with each level getting more specific, and a standard of naming common among all the categories.

For example:

-Catholic Doctrine and Theology
- -Mary
- - -Immaculate Conception
- - - -Exegesis of Luke 1:28

Or another example:

-Church History and Structure
- -Early Church Fathers
- - -St Augustine of Hippo
- - - -Commentary on Confessions

Let me know. I think it would be good to layout a structure and get some feedback on it before we complete the migration. Let's get it right the first time. :)

Possible ideas for the top level (Level 1) categories:

- Church History and Structure
- Catholic Doctrine and Theology
- Other Religions and Beliefs
- Science and Social Issues
- Other Helpful Information

Is there anything that won't fit in one of these categories?

phatcatholic

i'm not sure where these would go:

--anti-catholicism
--prayer, devotion, and spirituality
--morality, ethics, and truth
--vatican ii and ultratraditionalism

under "other helpful information"?

phatcatholic

also, i'm coming upon all kinds of problems trying to use this new system:

--how do i bold or italicize parts of a title?
--what if only parts of a title contain a link? for example:

Contemporary Atheism: Parts [url="http://answers.org/apologetics/atheism1.html"]One[/url] and [url="http://answers.org/apologetics/atheism2.html"]Two[/url]

--how do i put part of a title in quotation marks? when i add quotation marks, it erases everything after them for some reason.
--also, pm or im me the link to the admin log-in. i don't have it anymore

thanks,
nick

Hmm...

How about these as top level categories?

- Church History and Structure
- Catholic Doctrine and Theology
- Other Religions and Beliefs
- Science and Social Issues
- Other Helpful Information
[b]- Opposing Views
- Interior Life [/b]

I think the morality, ethics and truth would fall into the "Science and Social Issues" category?

You can't bold only parts of a title.
I would name them Cont Athiesm 1, Cont Atheism 2, etc.
I'll check on the quotation marks.
Just add "/admin" to the end of teh directory's URL.

franciscanheart

dUSt your patience has to be absolutely amazing. im appreciating your work more and more and quite frankly thats saying a lot because i already had so much respect for the time and effort you put into this site.

:wacko: < me. but im okay. ^_^

phatcatholic

Instructions for My Little Helpers:

--to italicize a portion of a title do this:

<i>part of title</i>

--if a portion of a title was in bold, make it italicized
--if a link had a note beside it, for example:

[b]note:[/b] 343 articles

....then, when u submit the link, put this in its description:

contains 343 articles

--if a link had an asterisk (*) beside it, put this in its description:

a non-Catholic source

--if you find one title with more than one link within it, for example:

Was Peter the First Pope?: Parts [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=635"]One[/url] and [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=687"]Two[/url]

....you will have to make it two separate titles, like this:

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=635"]Was Peter the First Pope: Part One[/url]
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/docs/doc_view.cfm?recnum=687"]Was Peter the First Pope: Part Two[/url]

--if a link has a portion in quotation marks, for example:

The Metaphor of Peter as "Rock"

....then, for now, don't include the quotation marks. for some reason, it won't let users do this, so i have to add them in as an admin.

--if you see a link that directs you to another entry, for example:

[b]note:[/b] also see the "Eastern Orthodoxy" section of the [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=8772"][i]Non-Catholic Christian Denominations[/i] entry[/url]

....then just skip over that. don't include it in the entry.

--if a link as a pdf and an html version, just submit the pdf version

--formatting can't be done in the box where you type in descriptions, so if you see a note w/ formatting, for example, italics:

[b]note:[/b] see Section II, [i]Was the Apostle Peter a Supreme Pontiff?[/i]

....just bring it to my attention and i'll address it on a case-by-case basis.

--try not to quit work in the middle of an entry. it can be difficult at times to determine where you left off.

--most of the audio from ewtn can either be streamed or downloaded, so if the link to download does not submit, search for the file at ewtn's [url="http://www.ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/intro.asp"]audio library[/url] (under "Select from a List of EWTN Programs") and submit the link to stream. if it is a link to stream that is not working, submit the link to download (links to stream end in ".ra").

that's everything i can think of at the moment. if you come across any other problems, just let me know. thanks again for helping me with this tremendous undertaking. may the merits of our work be applied to likos, for his increased strength and healing.

pax christi
phatcatholic

Edited by phatcatholic

phatcatholic

a couple things i forgot:

--when you have to leave out quotation marks, let me know so i can add them in
--when you have an article in parts, use numbers instead of words, for example:

The Holy Father: Part 1

....instead of:

The Holy Father: Part One

phatcatholic

--all scripture citations or quotes from scripture in a title need to be italicized
--in Audio Downloads, the subject that the person is discussing needs to be italicized, for example:

Scott Hahn on [i]The Holy Father[/i]

--if a link automatically has keywords or a description, delete the keywords/description

Edited by phatcatholic

Hey guys...

Is it just me, or is the main index page taking a long time to load? I've been getting 5-10 second delays on the index page. categories and sub-pages load fast.

Anyone else?

phatcatholic

i don't like putting all the entries under 6 categories. i think it just adds another click that the user has to make in order to get to the articles. also, it could be unclear to the user where to look to find a particular entry they have in mind.

i vote we change it back to what it was before

franciscanheart

me too.... only because im having trouble finding what i need and i know where to look... or kinda. i think i have a better idea of where to look than a lot of people but still its taking some time to find what im looking for.

also before i forget.... i have a whole handful of links i cannot put it. they do not have another link provided, just that first one. dunno what yall want me to do.

phatcatholic

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jun 16 2005, 01:46 PM']also before i forget.... i have a whole handful of links i cannot put it. they do not have another link provided, just that first one. dunno what yall want me to do.
[right][snapback]613454[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

which ones are they?