An Old School Catholic Message Board

NEW Reference Section Discussion...

dUSt

phatcatholic

[b]One More Bit of Instruction[/b]

--when you are putting a note in a link's description, put a hyphen and a space in front of it, for example:

- contains 343 articles

i forgot to tell you to do that before (my bad.....)

franciscanheart

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 16 2005, 01:56 PM']which ones are they?
[right][snapback]613461[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Communion of Saints > Audio Downloads > Catholic Answers Live: coming up as invalid URL, no alternate url

if there is a way that [i]I[/i] can do this without you having to i will... just let me know.

Okay, I'll change it back.

I was seeing if less categories on the entry page made it load faster... it didn't.

Okay, it's back to normal.

I left the "Other Religions and Opposing Views" as a main topic because I think it keeps the main page a little "cleaner".

I think we should strive to have no more than 4 levels. Let's make that the limit. The lag we are experienceing when trying to open the main page is no doubt due to the amount of links and levels of categories... I'm going to e-mail the company who developed the application and see if we can do something about that.

I think I know why it is so slow... It's counting the number of categories and links every time the page loads...

I can remove that function, but the counts that appear in the parenthesis will be gone. Example: [i][b]Category Name[/b] (84/234)[/i]

I think it's worth it. What say y'all?

franciscanheart

if it speeds things up im all for it. its the only way i was keeping up with how many links ive entered but id take the speed over that any day!!

dumb question on the quote problem . . . do you get the same result when you use a single quote (') as when using the double quote (") ??

I've been really slammed the last two weeks, and I'm not sure it is going to get better soon, but if you've got a short page that needs to be verified, rekeyed or whatever - I'll take a whack at it

franciscanheart

hey i might be crazy but i thought the Salvation Justification Predestination was on the other side before the switch. I was taking care of the first five in the right column for now so when it got changed to make it simpler i started on that.

I am going to finish it. If that is not okay with anyone just let me know but for now im going to finish that and then i guess move back to my side....

note to self and phat:
Salvation, Justification, Predestination > Righteousness: Infused and Imputed :
Righteousness in the Bible links - not yet added

Note for all links: "--note: search within the following articles for the word "righteousness" to read only the pertinent information (Edit....Find...."righteousness"....Find Next)." Unsure what to do here.

Finish as soon as possible with direction from phatcatholic.

Edited by hugheyforlife

Cure of Ars

It says that there are 628 categories. But this can't be right. I am guessing that it is counting some of the comprehensive links as categories. Could this be what is slowing it down? Or are categories the same as links as far as speed is concerned?

But if speed is already a problem because of the amount of links. My vote is to not have a count because it is going to get worse and I would guess that we are only about 1/4 done with putting in the links.

But then again, I am just happy to be here. :D

franciscanheart

Okay the Salvation, Justification, Predestination entry is done. Is anyone working on Death, Judgement, Afterlife or Morality, Ethics, Truth?

If not I will tackle those tomorrow. I'm going to call it a night so I'll check back in the morning.

God bless and keep up the good work boys!! :)

phatcatholic

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jun 16 2005, 10:12 PM']hey i might be crazy but i thought the Salvation Justification Predestination was on the other side before the switch. I was taking care of the first five in the right column for now so when it got changed to make it simpler i started on that.

I am going to finish it. If that is not okay with anyone just let me know but for now im going to finish that and then i guess move back to my side....[/quote]
yea, the order in which the entries are listed in the directory is slightly different than before, probably b/c 4 entries were put in a new "other religions, opposing views" category. if you want to know which ones were originally yours to do, just to the [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=34580"]reference section[/url], start w/ sacred tradition, and then just do every other one. so, yours would be:

--sacred tradition
--peter and the papacy
--communion of saints
--salvation, justification, predestination
--non-catholic christian denominations

....and so on (if you want to do more).

[quote]note to self and phat:
Salvation, Justification, Predestination > Righteousness: Infused and Imputed :
Righteousness in the Bible links - not yet added

Note for all links: "--note: search within the following articles for the word "righteousness" to read only the pertinent information (Edit....Find...."righteousness"....Find Next)." Unsure what to do here.

Finish as soon as possible with direction from phatcatholic.
[right][snapback]614021[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i'm not sure what to do w/ that note right now, so just skip it and i'll handle it. thanks for all your work shorty :D

nick

franciscanheart

yeah i was doing that skipping back and forth thing which is how i got to sanctifying grace and what not. so x what i said before. ill continue to skip and do every other one. so now i've got the next two which are....

*Non-Catholic Christian Denominations
*Anti-Catholicism

when i finish those i will pick up some more.

phatcatholic

ok, i was using the count to see who was working on what. since we don't have that now, i'm going to assign entries to people:

[b]dUSt:[/b]
--Mary (he gets the best one........no fair!!!)

[b]phatcatholic:[/b]
--the bible
--church authority, the apostles
--history of the church
--prayer, devotion, spirituality (3)
--other religions, opposing views (5)

[b]Cure of Ars:[/b]
--sacraments (8)

* btw, dUSt, i'm changing this name back to "sacramentalism" b/c that would encompass a section on sacramentals as well as the entries for the seven sacraments, but a title like "sacraments" only encompasses the seven. if you object to this, just let me know

--defending the faith online
--theology of the body
--tools for apologetics

[b]hugheyforlife:[/b] (don't worry about how they were listed before)
--sacred tradition
--peter and the papacy
--communion of saints
--salvation, justification, predestination
--death, judgment, afterlife
--morality, ethics, truth (4)
--early church fathers
--faith and science

i tried to make it as fair as i could, but if anyone objects, just let me know.

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Edited by phatcatholic