An Old School Catholic Message Board

NEW Reference Section Discussion...

dUSt

Hey all...

When two links have the same title, let's try to find the author's name and add it to the title.

For example, instead of:

-The Virgin Birth
-The Virgin Birth
-The Virgin Birth

Name them:

-The Virgin Birth by John Smith
-The Virgin Birth by Scott Hahn
-The Virgin Birth from the Catholic Encyclopedia

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jun 17 2005, 06:25 PM']i cant edit those that ive already done right?
[right][snapback]614856[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
No.

YOU'RE FIRED!!!

phatcatholic

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:51 AM']I vote that we eliminate the ECF category and leave the ECF sections in all of the sub-categories.[right][snapback]614490[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i think its nice to have one entry that has all the ECF testimony in it. its very helpful to have one place to go to find what the ECFs have to say on any catholic doctrine. its like a one-stop shop. so, i vote for getting rid of the subsections and putting them all into one entry. laura and cure, what's your vote?

i'll try to go back and differentiate two different links that have the same name, as you suggested

i like the icons. its easier for the user to see how the tree is structured.

i'll fix the subcategories back so that the title of the main category isn't repeated (Audio Downloads, instead of Audio Downloads on Mary)

i like what you did w/ the bible entry and the sacraments entry

there's going to be natural growing pains as we try to sort this all out and make it the best it can be, but once the "dUSt" has settled, its gonna be really great :D

phatcatholic

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:44 AM']People where are you putting Catholic practices such as rosary, novenas etc?
[right][snapback]614328[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
cmom, go [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=13407"]here[/url]

phatcatholic

also, what do you all think of the new banner we have now? i think i liked the old one better. it seems more in conformity w/ the overall design of phatmass.

(it was cool to get props tho :unsure: "phatcatholic and friends" :))

Cure of Ars

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:37 PM']i think its nice to have one entry that has all the ECF testimony in it. its very helpful to have one place to go to find what the ECFs have to say on any catholic doctrine. its like a one-stop shop. so, i vote for getting rid of the subsections and putting them all into one entry. laura and cure, what's your vote?[/quote]

I like the one entry idea. But as a compromise could we have a link in each section that has some ECF material that goes to the ECF entry? It works either way though.

Cure of Ars

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:55 PM']also, what do you all think of the new banner we have now? i think i liked the old one better. it seems more in conformity w/ the overall design of phatmass.

(it was cool to get props tho :unsure: "phatcatholic and friends" :))
[right][snapback]614927[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The old one is cooler but the new one is easier to read and more classic. I'm leaning towards the older one.

phatcatholic

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:03 PM']i dont have a vote... ive been fired. :sadder:
[right][snapback]615039[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
you'll have to excuse dUSt, he's a little slow :unsure:

you're hired again :cool:

franciscanheart

yay! ^_^ I don't know about the ECF entry.... it makes sense to me to leave it in their categories just because when you go to find info about something its nice to have it all right there. you dont have to go to three different places to find what you need. know what i mean?

I agree with hughey.

It makes more sense to me to have the ECF info in the actual category. If the users know that the ECF info is in each category, then they will easily be able to find it because of the ECF icon.

If the ECFs have a completely seperate section, then we're actually duplicating a lot of effort because we're basically re-creating the entire navigation structure within the ECFs section. Also, if the ECFs have their own section then to be consistent we must create seperate sections for the Catechism, Scripture and Audio Downloads. So now we're re-creating the navigation structure four times...

See?

[quote name='phatcatholic' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:37 PM']i think its nice to have one entry that has all the ECF testimony in it. its very helpful to have one place to go to find what the ECFs have to say on any catholic doctrine. its like a one-stop shop. so, i vote for getting rid of the subsections and putting them all into one entry. laura and cure, what's your vote?

<snip>

there's going to be natural growing pains as we try to sort this all out and make it the best it can be, but once the "dUSt" has settled, its gonna be really great :D
[right][snapback]614913[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I realize I'm not eligible to vote, but where you have ECF materials within a topic, (and in the future if you add ECF materials that could have gone in a subject topic), you could add a note that in the "subject" topic that there are related materials in the ECF folder.

link to the ECF page - depends on whether or not you decide all this linking is what is slowing things down

now that I've gotten to the end, I think Cure said the same thing

Edited by journeyman