An Old School Catholic Message Board

coming home to Rome

kateri05

why do some protestants react so violently to people they know converting to Catholicism?

my husband was raised a pretty fundamentalist evangelical nondenominational protestant and much to my surprise and disbelief he has been considering very seriously coming home to Rome, as they say :wub: God's mercy and love is quite unbelievable and his process has reached a when not if stage :)

this is the good news. the bad news came tonite when he brought it up to his parents. needless to say it did NOT go well and it turned into on the spot apologetics (for a not even yet catholic!) and his mother burst into tears and ended the long and ugly "discussion" with "i never want to talk about this again." both his mom and dad ( he used to be catholic :rolleyes: ) were really upset, especially his mom who just acted so hurt and personally insulted. lol except HELLO, I'M catholic :P and so will be the kids, although she acted upset about that tonite even tho she'd known it before (and never mentioned it, like you know, before we got married! :blink: )

i'm just wondering if anyone in here had problems like this. my hubbie isn't into the whole online thing (although he does have a screenname on phatmass that hes used like twice lol), so i thought i would wander in here and ask you myself. thanks pham, for any insights you might have -_-

Brother Adam

I already said this over at Flyfree, but I'm so proud of you and your husband. I know family can be hard to deal with sometimes. But defending the Faith like that? Wow! You know he's coming home!

Wonderful news :)

theculturewarrior

You're husband just reminded his parents of some things, although it may take a while for them to remember. Give it time. A little bit of leaven leavens the whole bunch. :)

Many people have this problem due to misconceptions of the Church. My parents continue to be resistant even three + years after formal reunion with the Church. Continue to educate them, quietly and with love. I try always to speak their "language"--that is to put Catholic truth into words they can identify with. I speak often of my relationship with God, and my prayer life. For now I avoid bringing up topics like Saints and such.

We will be praying for you guys.
peace...

homeschoolmom

Having been on the "parent" end of this situation, I can tell you that part of this stems from a feeling of rejection. To people who hold their faith deeply, your hubbie is saying (although he's not really saying this), "Yeah, thanks for all the time and effort that you put into raising me in your faith but no thanks." Pedro's definately right here. Speak about things you have in common. What they fear most is that he is departing from God and rejecting Him (and in a way, them).

sweetpea316

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:19 AM'] "Yeah, thanks for all the time and effort that you put into raising me in your faith but no thanks."
[right][snapback]613305[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's exactly how I expect my parents to react if/when I ever convert. I know it will break their hearts because they have raised me in one way and we've all been very strong and active members of the church. I'm afraid they'll take it so hard that they will practically disown me... I mean, I know they love me and support the decisions I make in my life even if they aren't exactly what they want for me.... but this is a totally different story. Sigh... I am scared about it. They don't know how seriously I am considering it; I think they know that I'm kinda being 'swayed' but not to the point of conversion. I just need to pray about it all... Thanks for listening to my rambling and God bless. ^_^

no problem sweetpea :) i talked to bri about it and he completely agreed with you hsmom... it just makes me sad that hes found so little support :(

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

when my mom converted her mother converted!
and my grandmother is much more devout than my mother

when my second cousin converted so did my Great Aunt (her Mother)

its kind of funny

My wife was surprised when I told her I was going to become Catholic. She is a "cradle Catholic" but not very active in the Church. She was surprised, but happy.

I knew the BIG problem would be telling my mother. I took her out to lunch and told her. She started crying and going on about the evil of the Catholic Church. It was very difficult, but I knew (and know) I was making the right decision, so her hurt didn't affect my decision.

I just had to remember Christ saying his followers wouldn't have an easy time of it.

Oh wow, Daniel. That must've been hard. Prayers for you and your mother.

Congrats on the conversion, too. :)

Hey, i just wanted to tell u all that im praying 4 u and ur fams, i no its hard 2 tell ur parents u wanna convert, it was hard for me and my parents didn't raise me anything and it turned out my mom tried to make it so i was Catholic, funny how that works :blink: i hope it all works out for u guyz and gurlz and who knows, maybe ur fams might become Catholic too:) :D