An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Job from Hell?

Kilroy the Ninja

Indeed this is terrible...I cannot imagine an employer telling me that I would have to be availible to work any shift everyday. To tell me that Wal-Mart would have to come over Sunday Mass....

about a few months ago a walmart employee was abducted. it was in texas and she drove a red truck. i think it was ford f150

i work at walmart...*flinches*

i dunno what to think really. our store doesnt have THAT kind of restriction on work schedules. i know that walmart has been apart of some bad things, but....i dunno if its fair to spread that accross the board. i mean its almost like saying that b/c of a couplpe bad priests that the catholic church is bad. im not trying to defend walmarts bad actions, i jus dont know yet if i should take the position of it being wholly bad. thoughts?

Brother Adam

[quote name='Crispy' date='Jun 17 2005, 03:05 PM']i work at walmart...*flinches*

i dunno what to think really.  our store doesnt have THAT kind of restriction on work schedules.  i know that walmart has been apart of some bad things, but....i dunno if its fair to spread that accross the board.  i mean its almost like saying that b/c of a couplpe bad priests that the catholic church is bad.  im not trying to defend walmarts bad actions, i jus dont know yet if i should take the position of it being wholly bad.  thoughts?
[right][snapback]614668[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Unfortunately we are talking corporate policy. It is actual corporate policy to run their some own vendors into the ground that they can be the sole person to make a certian product. If it were just a couple of store managers, or some nutter sales VP that would be one thing, but the monopolized corporation as a whole is not a good thing for this world. Yes, they bring jobs, but everytime you see one of those price rollbacks you can bet your money that someone somewhere got stabbed in the back to make it happen.

crusader1234

Wal Mart really is a prime example of why Capitalism in the USA isn't working. The companies that get ahead are the ones that exploit their workers. People whine about factories in Malaysia paying their workers around $70 USD a week here yet not about Wal Mart. What they don't know is that that $70 is enough to support a family there, and the workers in Nike factories for example are always among the richest in the area because of the comparatively high wages and health benefits. Meanwhile, here in the USA, an American company is far worse. This year we learned in religion (at a Jesuit school) about how a 'just wage' is enough to support a family from a full time job. Wal Mart itself aknowledges that a family likely couldn't be supported on a full time Wal Mart salary. Thats wrong. Whats also wrong is the fact that the workers are denied the right to form unions - which is clearly outlined as one of the rights of workers. Wal Mart violates so many aspects of Catholic Social Teaching that it really makes me want to vomit.

I find it incredible that people think that a minum wage Wal-Mart job is the only job you can get. I have a horrible time hiring people at $9 per hour plus free insurance, paid holidays, and a week of vacation. It's not Capitalism, it's people's sense of endowment.

well, it is capitalism, but in so much as G.K. Chesterton critiqued capitalism:
the problem of capitalism isn't too many capitalists, it is too few

wage for labor without oppurtunity for ownership... no matter how high the wage... is still problematic.

anyway, Jas is right that min wage jobs at walmart are not and should not be the only jobs people should be able to get. I take it a step further and say people should find a way to support themselves on their own labor with their own property. hard to do in the modern state of things, but not impossible.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jun 16 2005, 11:50 AM']Argh why do they have to have such cheap prices [i]and[/i] be evil? Thats the only place i can by from because of limitations on my part (money & method of purchasing)
[right][snapback]613390[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They don't actually have cheaper prices. They only have cheaper prices on certain things. They enslave some members of the lower class then feed off the others.