An Old School Catholic Message Board

list the abuses

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Margarite' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:45 AM']I think that the church has been infiltrated by a secret organization whos purpose is to drive a way the true faithful and to make everyone else live in sin.

Ridiculous comment?
[right][snapback]614407[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 17 2005, 08:48 AM']If by "secret organization" you mean MTV then I think you're right.
[right][snapback]614410[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

MTV who?........you know, I used to watch it long time ago.

BYW, The downloads are a great idea, specially the part about recognizing the abuses.

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:15 AM']I'm thinking about providing downloadable "handouts" on phatmass--one for each common liturgical abuse.

This is how it would work:

1. Recognize the liturgical abuse at mass
2. Go to phatmass, download the appropriate handout
3. At the next mass, simply give the handout to the priest/choir director/deacon/EMC, etc.

The handouts would be very friendly. Something like, "Just a friendly reminder: Did you know that playing music during the Eucharistic prayer is strictly forbidden by the church? (site sources here)".

What do y'all think of this idea?
[right][snapback]614369[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I would be cool with that.

It sounds like a good idea. It may not help in every situation, but it certainly cannot hurt.

I would love it. The first person I would give it to is the bell choir director...

such a 'show' during Mass, right up front by the altar..

[quote name='dUSt' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:38 AM']I suppose there are times when it won't work, but I honestly believe that most abuses are because of lack of knowledge. The guilty parties don't [b]know[/b] that they are being disobedient. It is these abuses I hope to cut down.

The people who purposely violate church teaching is a whole other matter....
[right][snapback]614393[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree. My priest is building a tabernacle for the Church now.

Noel's angel

*feels guilty because she didn't :(* But my belly feels flabby and I can't find the energy. I feel fat like a pig on market day

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jun 17 2005, 01:22 PM']JMJ
6/17 - Eleventh Friday

This ain't got nothin' on St. Joan's in Minneapolis.
[right][snapback]614596[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Amen to that!!

When I went to WYD2002, it was an amazing time. But at the Papal Mass there was a some "liturgical dancing" happening on the sanctuary during the different parts of the Mass. I thought this was a liturgical abuse... but maybe JPII gave the dancers special dispensation? Totally confusing!

anger at liturgical abuse is one of my weaknesses. It causes me to be so distracted during abused Masses that I find it hard to remind myself that God is still there, the consecration (for the most part) still occurs, and that I still need to be part of the sacrifice... you know?

thessalonian

[quote name='1337 k4th0l1x0r' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:15 AM']I probably wouldn't have even gone up for communion in the first place.  Is it sinful to refuse communion because you have good reason to believe the consecration was invalid?
[right][snapback]614371[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The only thing that can really invalidate the communion is if they don't use the appropriate words right at the consecratoin, ie. This is my body...This is my blood.. I wouldn't let them take the sacrament away from me personally. Though It is not a sin not to go to commuion I suppose.

[quote name='blueufo7' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:35 PM']anger at liturgical abuse is one of my weaknesses.  It causes me to be so distracted during abused Masses that I find it hard to remind myself that God is still there, the consecration (for the most part) still occurs, and that I still need to be part of the sacrifice... you know?
[right][snapback]614792[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Complete understanding. I had to go cold-turkey on reading liturgical documents or I was going to explode. I really can't change anything, and turning the most important and solemn ritual of our faith into an exercise in angry nitpicking wasn't worth it to me.

It's only taken... ten years or so, and I'm starting to not get quite so upset...

:sweat:

Of course, hanging around Phatmass probably is going to get me back to irked pickyness again.

God Conquers

[quote name='Q the Ninja' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:25 AM']I just went up to my Priest's son and mentioned that one.  ;)
[right][snapback]614382[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:blink: