An Old School Catholic Message Board

list the abuses

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='thessalonian' date='Jun 17 2005, 06:36 PM']The only thing that can really invalidate the communion is if they don't use the appropriate words right at the consecratoin, ie. This is my body...This is my blood..  I wouldn't let them take the sacrament away from me personally.  Though It is not a sin not to go to commuion I suppose.
[right][snapback]614793[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

dude, if a priest uses pretzels and beer and says the words of consecration over them, then consecration is invalid because of the wrong "matter"... thank goodness that hasn't happened at any Mass I've been to yet!

but... once I was at a Mass where the priest was:
1) a member of the Jesus Seminar group that questions the existence of Jesus
2) very drunk (no doubt whatsoever)

I wonder how much of the priest's own belief is necessary during the consecration. I mean, he was DRUNK. I read somewhere that intent of the priest is an important ingredient to the consecration. If a priest has lost his faith... AND... isn't fully of his surroundings because he's drunk... I wonder whether the host I received that Sunday was really Jesus or not!

let_go_let_God

Our Catholic group on campus (at a Catholic school) is in a peaceful battle against our Campus Ministry and priest on campus about proper posture during mass. Campus Ministry said at one time that we "could not" kneel during the mass because it would not be a unified posture and thus disrupt the mass.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 17 2005, 05:51 PM']Complete understanding.  I had to go cold-turkey on reading liturgical documents or I was going to explode.  I really can't change anything, and turning the most important and solemn ritual of our faith into an exercise in angry nitpicking wasn't worth it to me.

It's only taken... ten years or so, and I'm starting to not get quite so upset...

:sweat:

Of course, hanging around Phatmass probably is going to get me back to irked pickyness again.
[right][snapback]614806[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

i know the feeling...some times i miss the days where i was innocent and didn't know anything about the GIRM

I think one key to change the liturgy drastically in your parish if there are lots of abuses is to... TAKE OVER THE CHOIR!!!

At so many parishes, the music minister gets so much control over the mood of the Mass. Being in charge of the choir, you can select some common traditional songs and some good contemporary songs... and really calm down the atmosphere of a Mass that has gone liturgically bad!

Thats my take on it! :-)

Dreamweaver

Well, I can actually relate to this thread (sadly, I never thought I'd be able to!) I was visiting family in Sioux Falls, SD, and decided to go to the closest parish. I knew there was trouble when I couldn't find the tabernacle and my non-Catholic boyfriend knew something was odd when there wasn't any kneelers. :o Not to mention, complete contemporary band, a bunch of trivia before the readings because it was a "special day".

The worst part, the priest completely skipped some parts of the liturgy of the Eucharist; such as the eucharistic prayer. Well, everyone remained standing during the whole liturgy, even during the consecration. I don't think it was just because they got lost with all the skipping around (yes, I was lost).

Just a warning to phatmassers. If you find yourself in Sioux Falls, you might want to stay away from St. Michael's parish. They do have a cool statue of St. Michael in front.

Oh, and I think they're having a special "Mass on the Grass" thingie this evening. :wacko: