An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Mathematical Pun

Thy Geekdom Come

Here's another mathematical pun:

Jesus and his disciples were walking around one day, when Jesus said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9." The disciples looked very puzzled, and finally asked Peter, "What on earth does Jesus mean -- the Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9? Peter said, "Don't worry. It's just another one of his parabolas."

I am not understanding the disscussion on this so far. If your maths are right, Micah, f(Eucharist) is a line. The value that inputs height is first degree, otherwise the derivitive cannot be 0. So there can be no "pits" or "summits" in the orginal function, expect over a closed interval.

If you are treating life as that closed interval, and assuming that the person will recivie the Eucharist over his interval, then you could have an increasing line, however, that would merely say that he has "taken the Eucharist y times at location x."

I don't get it.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:26 AM']According to Vatican II (Lumen gentium), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."  So, the "function" is Christian life; and the Eucharist is the highest point on the "function."  :nerd:

Of course, the first and second derivatives only reveal local min/max points, not global min/max points.  But, I digress...

:lol:
[right][snapback]621640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I do belive this was the intent. You cannot tell me you count christian life to be linear, constantly increasing or decreasing.

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:52 PM']Here's another mathematical pun:

Jesus and his disciples were walking around one day, when Jesus said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9." The disciples looked very puzzled, and finally asked Peter, "What on earth does Jesus mean -- the Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9? Peter said, "Don't worry. It's just another one of his parabolas."
[right][snapback]622434[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

:lol: I like it! I like It! I really really like it!!!