An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Mathematical Pun

Thy Geekdom Come

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 17 2005, 09:40 PM']d/dx (Eucharist)=0

:lol:

I stole it from a friend...let's see who can figure it out.
[right][snapback]614918[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
OK, if the issue is that the Eucharist is the summit, the derivative would be zero. If that was the joke, it's important to qualify that the second derivative is negative (i.e. a local maximum). If it were positive, it would be a local min.

With Eucharist = f(x):
f'(x) = 0
f''(x) < 0

:nerd:

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 24 2005, 09:52 AM']OK, if the issue is that the Eucharist is the summit, the derivative would be zero.  If that was the joke, it's important to qualify that the second derivative is negative (i.e. a local maximum).  If it were positive, it would be a local min.

With Eucharist = f(x):
f'(x) = 0
f''(x) < 0

[right][snapback]621502[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Indeed you are correct if the Eucharist is taken as the function. But what if the Eucharist is not taken as the function, but expressed as a particular point along the function;

f(Eucharist) is a particular point of f(t), aka, the point whre t = Eucharist.

If the Eucharist is a point along a greater function, what would this function be?

Though I admit in the first post the function notation was omitted, thus making the Eucharist itself, the function of the equation. Later in the thread, the equation was expressed as a point of the function and not the function itself... which should it be then?

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 24 2005, 09:52 AM']OK, if the issue is that the Eucharist is the summit, the derivative would be zero.  If that was the joke, it's important to qualify that the second derivative is negative (i.e. a local maximum).  If it were positive, it would be a local min.

With Eucharist = f(x):
f'(x) = 0
f''(x) < 0

[right][snapback]621502[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I know the guy who came up with this, and this was his thought pattern/ intent.

BullnaChinaShop

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 24 2005, 09:59 AM']Indeed you are correct if the Eucharist is taken as the function.  But what if the Eucharist is not taken as the function, but expressed as a particular point along the function;

f(Eucharist) is a particular point of f(t), aka, the point whre t = Eucharist.

If the Eucharist is a point along a greater function, what would this function be?

Though I admit in the first post the function notation was omitted, thus making the Eucharist itself, the function of the equation.  Later in the thread, the equation was expressed as a point of the function and not the function itself... which should it be then?
[right][snapback]621510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

It should be at a point in the function.

f'(Eucharist)=0
f''(Eucharist)<0
but for it to be the ultimate source and summit then it must also be true that:
f(Eucharist)>f(t)
where t is any other point(s) where:
f'(x)=0
f''(x)<0

[quote name='BullnaChinaShop' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:12 AM']It should be at a point in the function.

but for it to be the ultimate source and summit then it must also be true that:
f(Eucharist)>f(t)
[right][snapback]621616[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
In a theological point of view, i agree, but the function cannot mathematically refer to itself - or is that part of the mystery of the holy trinity?

If the function is the church, then the Eucharist, being a point within this function would be the summit - i.e., the head of the church. The remainder of the function being the members of the church... ourselves.

If the function is inversed, then you get into the anti-christ stuff... rather not go there though.

If the function is god, then the Eucharist being a point along the function would actually be the function refering to itself, making any intergration or derivative without logical foundation.

BullnaChinaShop

[quote name='Didacus' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:19 AM']In a theological point of view, i agree, but the function cannot mathematically refer to itself - or is that part of the mystery of the holy trinity?

If the function is the church, then the Eucharist, being a point within this function would be the summit - i.e., the head of the church.  The remainder of the function being the members of the church... ourselves.

If the function is inversed, then you get into the anti-christ stuff... rather not go there though.

If the function is god, then the Eucharist being a point along the function would actually be the function refering to itself, making any intergration or derivative without logical foundation.
[right][snapback]621624[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The question is "what is the function"?

It could have multiple peaks and valleys depending on the order. All I said was that for f(Eucharist) to be source and summit then it must also be higher than any other peak that may exist within the function.

Mateo el Feo

According to Vatican II (Lumen gentium), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life." So, the "function" is Christian life; and the Eucharist is the highest point on the "function." :nerd:

Of course, the first and second derivatives only reveal local min/max points, not global min/max points. But, I digress...

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:26 AM']According to Vatican II (Lumen gentium), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."  So, the "function" is Christian life; and the Eucharist is the highest point on the "function."  :nerd:

Of course, the first and second derivatives only reveal local min/max points, not global min/max points.  But, I digress...

[right][snapback]621640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

if the point of the function coincides as the source (aka, origin) and also as the summit, then we are dealing with an elliptical (or circular) curve to which there cna only be a single summit.

BullnaChinaShop

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:26 AM']According to Vatican II (Lumen gentium), the Eucharist is "the source and summit of the Christian life."  So, the "function" is Christian life; and the Eucharist is the highest point on the "function."  :nerd:

Of course, the first and second derivatives only reveal local min/max points, not global min/max points.  But, I digress...

[right][snapback]621640[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That is exactly the point I was trying to make. You said it much more eloquently than I.