An Old School Catholic Message Board

Every parish in Steubenville is being closed

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

Bishop Conlin announced tonight that every parish in Steubenville is being shut down accept for two - St. Peters and Holy Family. Sad day indeed.

No kidding, it doesn't make sense to me either. I figured it was a joke when I saw the subject.

Brother Adam

It's not a joke. It was on News 9 tonight and came out of the mouth of the Bishop. It will be implimented over the next two years. My guess is a serious lack of stewardship. They can't afford to keep the doors open.

That's sad news; and it will make it hard for students who like to go to Mass off campus.

Brother Adam

While that is possible, there are not many to begin with. More than one parish shares a priest already. I hope to find out more Sunday at mass or Monday as school.

God Conquers

This seems to be popular lately...

Unfortunately its necessary in many dioceses.

TITHE!!!!!!!

Don John of Austria

This is somthing my friends and I have discussed endlessly, I do not tithe, of course I am a church employee and make 2/3rds of what I would make if I worked at even a low paying public school district, I simply cannot afford to Tithe in addition to the 1/3rd of my income I am already giving up. However I have a friend who tithe's no matter what even when he lost his job 10% of his last check went into the offering plate, 10% of his unemployment went into the offering plate ect. Once when our priest was discussing the subject with him ( the factthat most people do not tithe) he brought up a very simple solution-- "give the people whatthey pay for, if collections are down turn of the AC ( if you lived in Houston you would understand the magnatude of that statement in a modern designed church) or turn off the lights, most people are going to give what they really can if the go into a church which is dark from lack of electricity, all of these things should be done before the parish itself is closed. How often is that done... in my diocese never.