An Old School Catholic Message Board

Every parish in Steubenville is being closed

Brother Adam

Priest shortage.. we need to pray for vocations .. only 1 priest was Ordained in the Cleveland Diocese this year

IcePrincessKRS

Steubenville Diocese To Close Six Churches

POSTED: 6:59 p.m. EDT June 16, 2005

Steubenville, OH -- Friday the Diocese of Steubenville released what it is calling a comprehensive plan.

The plan calls for the closure of Holy Name, Holy Rosary, St. Anthony, St. Pius X, St. Stanislaus, and Servants of Christ the King churches.

The six will be merged into one new parish, and a new church will be built on St. John Heights.

A church employee tells News9 the churches are being closed mainly for two reasons; one being a shortage of priests, the other being the financial burden of maintaining the buildings.

Stay with News9 for continuing coverage of this major local story.

[url="http://www.wtov9.com/news/4618786/detail.html"]http://www.wtov9.com/news/4618786/detail.html[/url]

IcePrincessKRS

If you go to Masstimes.org and look up Steubenville it will bring up about [b]TWENTY-SIX [/b] parishes within 10 minles of the city (and close to 10 of those are in Steubie itself). While losing[b] ANY [/b] parish is a terribly sad thing, 6 in light of 26 isn't that bad. The Church closings could be far, far worse.

[url="http://www.masstimes.org/dotNet/showchurches.aspx?type=uscity&q=&country=United+States+of+America&city=Steubenville&countrycode=US&statecode=OH"]http://www.masstimes.org/dotNet/showchurch...US&statecode=OH[/url]

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

oh my. This is terrible!! We are reaping what we sowed in the 1960's and 70's. People wanted an "open minded" church during those times and they got it, now we are paying for it.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:59 PM']6 of 26 is hardly EVERY parish in steubenville.
[right][snapback]615279[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Exactly my point. Not all of the 26 parishes are IN Steubie, but they are close enough that its not "out of the way". I think the thread title needs to be changed.

Well, that doesn't seem like an especially bad plan.

Depending on the age of the buildings being shut down, some can monstrously expensive to heat.

My not-very-old parish had $600/mo heating bills last winter. For a small building that's open about 5 hours a week. And has <100 parishoners! Gaah.

Brother Adam

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 18 2005, 12:59 PM']6 of 26 is hardly EVERY parish in steubenville.
[right][snapback]615279[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The 26 parishes cross state and city lines. All but 2 parishes are being closed in Steubenville. That was no lie.

Don John of Austria

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 17 2005, 11:45 PM']My experiences at the Churches in the Steubenville area helped me to discover that I fit better in the Byzantine Church. 

:D
[right][snapback]615082[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I have often concidered going to the maronite Church here, I prefer the sense of reverance, but as Appy says I am very Latin, I wan t definitions and my theology is decidedly western. So I don't know what to do about that.

Appy I love the Church above but I was thinking No light not candle light, candles are expensive.

I liek the idea of cutting off the AC to increse tithing....right now the feels like temp outside is well above 100...so I think it would work out quite well especially in an affluent parish such as ours.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 18 2005, 02:03 PM']The 26 parishes cross state and city lines. All but 2 parishes are being closed in Steubenville. That was no lie.
[right][snapback]615374[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

1 Holy Name,
2 Holy Family
3 Holy Rosary
4 Our Lady of N. American Martyrs
5 Servants of Christ
6 St. Anthony
7 St. Peter
8 St. Pius the Tenth
9 St. Stanislaus

Plus the University makes 10 in Steubenville alone (and Steubie really isn't THAT big a city). (Check the website and count for yourself if you don't believe me.) 6 of those will be closed and replaced with a new church, which will leave Steubenville residents with 4 parishes and the University chapel (enough students go to the parishes its not such a stretch to imagine some city residents prefer the chapel). And as I said, of those 26 parishes listed on the website they are all within about 10 miles of Steubenville, we're in a tri-state area, its not really that far to go. Also as I said in a previous post, several of the parishes that are being closed were VERY VERY SMALL. I'm not saying that the closings are necessarily a good thing, I'm just saying I think you're painting it blacker than it actually is. You have to look at the big picture.

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

IcePrincessKRS

Ok, I'm a big enough person to admit when I've been wrong about something. lol I talked to my sister in law and she said that Our Lady of the N. American Martyrs has been closed for awhile, so Adam was right, all but 2 are closing. HOWEVER, she also noted, as have I, that most of the parishes that are closing were VERY small and almost no one went there (which is why consolidating them is actually a "good" thing), AND two of the closing parishes even shared a building (so they really weren't very distinct from one another to begin with), AND the population of Steubenville is only about 1/3 of what it was back when all those parishes were built. (That still leaves 4 places to go to Mass when all is said and done. Many towns the size of Steubie only have one Catholic church.)

Edited by IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Don John of Austria' date='Jun 18 2005, 01:07 PM']Appy I love the Church above but I was thinking No light not candle light, candles are expensive.
[right][snapback]615510[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Of course nothing is free these days. But people can make candles, and they really can't make electricity.

:D

I have a feeling that the use of candles in the Russian Church is more about reverence than saving money. It's probably a custom, much like the Roman Rite custom of still using candles on the altar (electric lighting is not permitted on the altar).

The closure of Churches is never a joyful event, but hopefully the diocese will close those Churches that are ugly, and keep the most aesthetically beautiful ones open.