An Old School Catholic Message Board

Every parish in Steubenville is being closed

Brother Adam

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='Jun 18 2005, 08:06 PM']The closure of Churches is never a joyful event, but hopefully the diocese will close those Churches that are ugly, and keep the most aesthetically beautiful ones open.
[right][snapback]615636[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:haha:

Well, thats at least partly true for the closings here in Steubie. ;) Lets hope the new church is beautiful. :)

lifeteenchick527

[quote name='Philippe' date='Jun 17 2005, 10:01 PM']We all must trust that this is God's Will and that it will strengthen our Church in the long run
[right][snapback]615088[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

philippe...why are you so smart?
lol :P

anywase... i agree with that... God's will

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' date='Jun 18 2005, 06:03 PM']Lets hope the new church is beautiful. :)
[right][snapback]615682[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'll pray for you, but my prayers weren't answered for my friends in the Latin Rite diocese of Oakland California, because they are getting a new modernist Cathedral. Or as it is commonly called to around here, the new diocesan Nuclear Power Plant.

sometimes I wondere if the Church closings is the will of Man and not the will of God. I am not saying I trust God.. but Less Parishes mean less Masses.. which means Less people recieving the Eucharist

I cant help to think a priest shortage is causing this.. less and less people listening for God's will

Good Friday

To clear up a few things, because I get [i]The Steubenville Register[/i], the diocesan newspaper, and some here may not...

1. The primary reason for the closing of these parishes is the priest shortage, not financial. In fact, I don't recall the financial aspect even being mentioned, and if it was it was definitely subordinated to the priest shortage. The fact is that there are not enough priests in the city of Steubenville, the priests are aging, and the shortage is real. Not to mention that there is absolutely no need to have nine parishes, plus Masses offered at Franciscan University, in one city.

2. The "new church" mentioned in the news report posted here is not a church as such, and will not be a parish. In actuality, it is intended to be an adoration chapel that will serve both of the city's parishes and Franciscan University.

3. Bishop Conlon has plans to visit all of the parishes in the Diocese of Steubenville starting this summer, so it is likely that change will be coming to the entire diocese, not just the city of Steubenville itself. It makes sense to start in his See city and work his way out... which he seems to be doing; he will visit the neighboring county, my county, at the end of this summer. I suspect that he'll close parishes in this county after he visits.

This is the sad reality of the priest shortage and the shortage of Mass goers, which also causes a financial shortage. This is not Bishop Conlon's fault, anymore than it was Archbishop O'Malley's fault when he had to close parishes in the Archdiocese of Boston. Bishop Conlon inherited this problem from Bishop Sheldon, just as Archbishop O'Malley inherited the problems in Boston from Cardinal Law. It's neither bishop's fault that their predecessors were unwilling to do anything about the priest shortage/financial shortage in their dioceses, and as difficult as this no doubt is, we should be thanking Bishop Conlon for addressing the situation in our diocese -- instead of just ignoring it as his predecessor did.

I certainly don't hold anything against Bishop Conlon, quite the contrary I like him; after all he's the Latin Rite bishop that approved my transfer to the Byzantine Catholic Church.

:D

IcePrincessKRS

I'm not entirely sure Oik, I think its up near St. John Arena... like near where Holy Rosary and the hospital are.

Good Friday, thanks for posting the info from the Steubie Register.

[quote name='Oik' date='June 18 2005, 11:20 PM']Where is saint john's heights?[/quote]
You can also check on the Diocese of Steubenville's website, the information might be there:

[url="http://www.diosteub.org/"][u]Diocese of Steubenville[/u][/url]

Guest Eremite

[quote]just as Archbishop O'Malley inherited the problems in Boston from Cardinal Law. It's neither bishop's fault that their predecessors were unwilling to do anything about the priest shortage/financial shortage in their dioceses[/quote]

Cardinal Law was a good Bishop. I don't think our parish closing problems were his fault. It's the fault of a generation of dissenters that have sucked the life out of Catholicism.

My indult parish is closing, so I know how it feels. It stinks. But, life goes on. There are people in Latin America who only see a priest once a year. We should count our blessings.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Seven77' date='Jun 19 2005, 11:58 AM']St. Peter's is a beautiful church. Was there for Mass on Monday before coming home from summer conference.
[right][snapback]615985[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Agreed. St. Pete's is my parish. :)

Good Friday

[quote name='Eremite'][b]Cardinal Law was a good Bishop.[/b] I don't think our parish closing problems were his fault. It's the fault of a generation of dissenters that have sucked the life out of Catholicism.

My indult parish is closing, so I know how it feels. It stinks. But, life goes on. There are people in Latin America who only see a priest once a year. We should count our blessings.[/quote]
I don't know how in the world anyone could ever say that Cardinal Law was a good bishop. But I digress, because if I don't I'll probably pontificate.

Your sentiments about Latin America and other parts of the world, I agree with. We are blessed to have priests at all.