An Old School Catholic Message Board

scapular question(s)

Fides_et_Ratio

Fides_et_Ratio

my previous spiritual director was back to celebrate the wedding for a good friend of mine today (it was BEAUTIFUL and AMAZING!) and he brought me back a scapular from Rome and said he would bless it, etc. after Mass tomorrow morning.

However, which is the front and which is the back? One side has a picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and "Cor Jesu Miserere Nobis", and the other has Our Lady of Mt. Carmel (I think) and says "Mater et Decor Carmeli Ora Pro Nobis"... does it matter which goes in front and which goes in back?

Secondly, because the scapular is from Rome, and part of the reason for my getting it was in inspiration from our late Holy Father John Paul II (the Great)'s passing... I attached a medal of JPII to it which was blessed from the Hospital window in March. Is that kosher?

I'm sure I'll ask all these questions of my spiritual director tomorrow after Mass as well, I just wanted PM input earlier so perhaps I won't look quite so uninformed! :lol:

(oh, and btw... the scapular is HUGE! lol, I asked for a scapular and said 'not one of the tiny plastic ones, but a real one'--because a lot of FUS students had really small plastic ones (like the size of a penny)... but this is HUGE! it's like the size of a playing card! But it is definitely a very nice and beautiful scapular)

Thy Geekdom Come

Judging by the description, I don't know which is the front side. I don't think it matters too much, though. On mine, the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is in front, but mine doesn't have the Heart of Jesus stuff at all.

As for the medal...I think that's kosher.

Guest Eremite

Usually the Brown Scapular has Our Lady of Mount Carmel with the Infant Jesus on one side, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel giving the first scapular to St. Simon Stock on the other.

oops forgot to add..

having a medal attached onto it is fine.. Ive seen them with St. Benedict medals attached but there is no rule that says you must have a metal, nor is there a must not rule

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 18 2005, 10:33 PM']Usually the Brown Scapular has Our Lady of Mount Carmel with the Infant Jesus on one side, and Our Lady of Mount Carmel giving the first scapular to St. Simon Stock on the other.
[right][snapback]615768[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's brown, but definitely no image with St. Simon Stock on it.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/jilliwillly/catholic/DSC01967.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/jilliwillly/catholic/DSC01968.jpg[/img]

I guess it doesn't really matter which is front and which is in the back, so long as I wear it. lol. But I just want to follow "proper protocol" if there is one.

thanks for all the replies so far.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

you are supposed to pray the liturgy of the hours if you wear a scapular....

Edited by Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 18 2005, 11:02 PM']you are supposed to pray the liturgy of the hours if you wear a scapular....
[right][snapback]615784[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin can be substituted with other practices, with the permission of a priest.

Fides_et_Ratio

I know the prayers that go along with the wearing of the Scapular.. I just had more of a technical question about which is the front and which is the back.. or if it even mattered?

lol.

franciscanheart

From what I've heard it doesn't matter. I wear mine with Jesus in the front just because.... well it's Jesus! Then again... if you flip it... you know that Jesus has always got your back!!

:P

okay bad joke.
seriously i dont think it matters. if it does someone should let me know if im doing it wrong!! :o

I thought it was one Hail Mary for salvation...

and pray the Little Office for the Sabbatine Privilege -- deliverance from purgatory on the next Satuday after your death.

I dont think the images mater.. as rosescapular.com has all types of images on Scapulars

I hope this helps some

[url="http://www.ocd.pcn.net/scap_en.htm"]http://www.ocd.pcn.net/scap_en.htm[/url]

I have a lot more stuff I posted about them in a comment on Xanga.. but Comments arten't working right now :(