An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope set to return to traditional liturgy

Fidei Defensor

Fidei Defensor

[url="http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=89706&cat=World"]http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetai...89706&cat=World[/url]

Pope set to return to traditional liturgy:-
VATICAN CITY | June 19, 2005 5:11:27 AM IST

Pope Benedict XVI wants to restore the traditional ceremonial Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, with Latin instead of the vernacular and Gregorian chants.

Vatican expert Sandro Magister reported in his weekly newsletter Saturday that the pope is expected to replace Archbishop Pietro Marini, his predecessor Pope John Paul II's master of liturgical ceremonies.

Whoever follows Marini will have orders to restore the traditional style and choreography of papal ceremonies in St. Peter's.

Out will go the international Masses so dear to Pope John Paul II's heart, with such innovations as Latin American and African rhythms and even dancing, multi-lingual readings and children in national costumes bringing gifts to the altar.

Pope Benedict wants to return to the Sistine Chapel choirs singing Gregorian chant and the church music of such composers as Claudio Monteverdi from the 17th century. He also wants to revive the Latin Mass.

Archbishop Marini always planned the ceremonies with television in mind, Magister said, and that emphasis will remain. A decade ago the Vatican set up a system for transmitting papal ceremonies world wide via multiple satellites.

I already posted a byte on this on the debate table....[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=34749"]read on[/url]......

Catholictothecore

That is awesome....but....perhaps my "neo-traditionalism" is showing through. I don't see what's wrong with what JPII started.

i wouldnt consider this great news. Gregorian chant is not for everyone, at least no we can cater to the likes of many. I know if it was like this, i know people that would stop going.

what did JPII "start"??? he allowed this guy to run rampant with his liturgies... nothing's been "started" by JPII that BXVI is "ending"... things have merely been laxed because JPII was not an administrator-type pope

latin and chant have now and have had for double didgets of centuries pride of place in the mass.

to me, if someone is going to stop going to mass because of gregorian chant and latin, they didn't truly have the supernatural gift of faith anyway and we don't want them in our Church until such a time as they really do have the supernatural gift of faith. the liturgy is not earthly, and we should not be trying to please people's earthly desires through it.

chant is for everyone when it comes to the liturgy. it is music in its most basic but sophisticated form. even the easterns use forms of chant. I believe I am not mistaken to say that there is not one rite in the Catholic Church that does not afford chant a pride of place. chant is quite universal.

FutureSoror

It's too bad the tone of that article itself is extremely unthusiastic. It sounds like the person writing it is going "blah,da blah, da blah... ...sigh..."

[quote name='Colleen' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:40 PM']That sounds very cool.  :) Latin and Gregorian chant are awesome.  :D
[right][snapback]616415[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm in love with Latin, and I love Gregorian chant.