An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope set to return to traditional liturgy

Fidei Defensor

that's because JPII's death revived an interest in papal masses... seeing as there was a few papal masses on 24 hour news stations accross the world and all! :cool:

anyway, as the artical in the first post pointed out, the liturgies at St. Peter's in the modern era of television often act as a template for the whole world. Ever been arguing about a liturgical thing and heard "but JPII allowed this in this mass, and if he didn't stop it it must be alright". I sure have. Well, now we have a more ordered template to point to! :D

franciscanheart

i still like the children coming up in their cultural dress to present the gifts. :mellow:

I DID like that part... I wish people wore their cultural dress all the time instead of all this jeans and t-shirts business. now, the artical says that that's going out, but I'm not so sure the artical is official. while it is true there will be more latin and gregorian chant et cetera, Benedict really never said anything one way or the other about the children in cultural dress bringing the gifts. it is possible for that not to be completely stopped.

franciscanheart

i really hope he doesnt put an end to that. its such a beautiful physical representation of the church in the world.

Ash Wednesday

I don't think there should be panic or frayed nerves (I don't mean phatmassers, I mean people that might be upset) ... I think this is one of those things that the pope has the leeway to change. I don't have a problem with some modern things like the cultural splashes, but I think traditional liturgists have been largely ignored and gotten the short end of the stick since the 60s and they are due for some concessions and leeway and I'm glad the tide seems to be turning in that favor. It will be interesting to see what he does -- he seems to be making a good balance so far as pope. He does acknowledge in his writings in the past that the general needs of the Church come before "personal preferences" and opinions so I think whatever he does will be sensible. I thought his inaugural mass was beautiful!!!

Ich liebe meinen pabst (Deutschen heiligen Vater)... :hearts:

(the beer is named after "pope"... like Franziskaner is "Franciscan"... good beer makers, those German Catholics...)

I am for (almost) anything that will get rid of the "flea market mentality" that Jesus and I put up with every week. I am so frustrated having to listen to the chatter before and during Mass.

Where is the reverence and worshipful atmosphere that my God deserves?

I am too close to telling these people to SHUT UP OR GO HOME. I know I know, not the way Jesus would handle it. But for one hour (and they complain about that) they should be able to choke up some manners and behave.

I have gone to every parish in this city and they are all pretty much the same. WE NEED OUR PRIESTS TO PREACH ABOUT REVERENCE AND RESPECT IN CHURCH..

I cannot imagine anyone coming into my home acting how they act in church. They'd be shown the door mighty quick.

I just hope that he won't turn Latin 'everywhere' like my mom said she remembers.
;)

Edited by Maccabeus

geetarplayer

I'm excited about this, but I wonder how my parish will react. They tend to go for more the "contemporary" liturgy.

-Mark

Last post I forgot to mention.

..I was raised with the Latin Mass. I don't want the Latin back. But I would like the "physicality" of the Mass back. The atmosphere of worship and adoration. The priest facing away from the people and the rest of it.

In addition I would like to see the local language used.

I feel as though if you can compare it this way that, "Our Mass has gone from being a seven course meal to a hamburger."
And I resent it. :angry:

I like Latin too though... I didn't grow up with the Latin Mass but voluntarily drive 30 miles out of my way every sunday (paying for my own gas) just to attend it in Latin.

although 3/4 of the appeal is that it's a "seven course meal" like ofpheritup said... the other 1/4 is that it is in the mother tongue of the mother Church... universal everywhere in the Latin Rite. It's not as hard to understand as everyone led me to believe it would be... you pick it up pretty fast. plus: you have a missal with the translations side by side :cool: