An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Boyfriend is becoming a Priest

Guest Dei_Gratia

Guest Dei_Gratia

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

My boyfriend has decided to become a priest and I'm having a hard time with it. I'm happy for him because is a wonderful vocation but I thought this guy was the man I was going to marry. I'm upset with him, what do I do?

I'm not going to say I understand...because I don't. and I doubt that I'll ever find myself in such a situation. :sweat: But, on a practical level, how decided is he? Is he just about to enter the seminary? or is he in the process of discerning?

I think that the only thing to do is pray. Pray that he has the strength and courage to do whatever God asks. Pray that if he does become a priest, that you come to accept it and that you are given a sense of peace.

If he's at the discerning-not-quite-entering stage, however hard it is, maybe if you just let him know that you're there for him and that you're praying for him. I know for a fact that the knowledge that people are praying for you and support you, makes a lot of difference!

And how about you? Reflect on you and your relationship with God. Maybe this is not the time for you...

I'll pray for you both :)

I have actually thought about this a lot though I do not have a boyfriend and I am preparing myself even if I [b]do[/b] get one(in case this happens.). I have heard many stories of either the girl breaking up with her boyfriend to follow her vocation or the boy breaking up with the girl to follow his vocation. Yes, I understand how hard it would be for you, but just think that this is what is going to truly make him happy, this is God's Will for both of you.

Don't be upset with him because you would be upset with God at the same time. Trust in God, place everything in His hands and it will get better. :)

Many prayers for you!

The life of your boyfriend does not belong to you or even to him. It belongs to God, and if the call for this vocation is genuine, then you should support your boyfriend in it full heartidly.

i understand how it can be disapointing, but if he remains on this course, it will be for the best and I am certain God has other plans for you, just a great as you dreamed, that will in time fulfill your expectations.

I wish for you courage, hope and trust. Have a little faith in the Master... the real Master of life... He knows what he's doing.

sweetpea316

I feel your pain hun...

The guy I was seeing this past year, the one who really got me interested in Catholicism, thought for a while that he was being called to be a priest or some other vocation in the Church, which well...means no me. (in that way) He was the guy I thought was the one for me, but well, you can't do anything but be happy for him and support him, because I'm sure he put A LOT of thought and prayer into the decision. I'm not sure what's gonna end up happening with this guy and me, only God knows that, but I'll be praying for you and your situation. God bless!

ThyWillBeDone

I am a seminarian, and while didn't have a girlfriend when I was diserning or when I entered the seminary I have many friends who did. So while I don't know what you are going through I do know what he is going through. So I have to tell you what he is going through is very tough, to enter the seminary is hard thing to do when you single it even harder to do when you dating someone you really care about. I have some friends who's girlfriends really supported them when they were discerning and that support meant a lot to them and they are still great friends with their ex-girlfriends becuase of it. So with support am sure things will turn out according to God's will for both of you. You and your boyfriend will both be in my prayers.
God Bless

A priest I know always says that your vocation is where you will find your deepest joy. If you really love your boyfriend, you want him to be truly, completely happy, right? Two of my friends left school this year to go to the seminary, and it was sad to see them go and I'll miss them a lot next year. But even so, I'm so excited for them because what I want is for them to be happy, even if that means not being close anymore. I hope this helps :)
Peace, Amy

You guys should convert to Ukrainian Catholic, so that you and your boyfriend may partake of the sacrament of Marriage and still be Catholic. If your priest is married, you can be certain that he will be less likely to mess around with little boys.

I am pretty insulted by that previous post!

[quote name='Monoxide' date='Jun 26 2005, 02:08 AM']You guys should convert to Ukrainian Catholic, so that you and your boyfriend may partake of the sacrament of Marriage and still be Catholic. If your priest is married, you can be certain that he will be less likely to mess around with little boys.
[right][snapback]623996[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually, every study available states that the majority of child molesters are married men. Only about four percent of all priests over the past 50 years have found to have abused minors. This compares well to the 6-7 percent of the general population over the same time. Please keep your anti-clerical comments out of the Vocation Station section. Thanks.

peace...

• 2 weeks later...

From what I know there's a shortage of priests in the world, So everyone of them is needed and valued. I'll pray that your pain will pass.

daugher-of-Mary

Monoxide,
That was totally uncalled for. Great respect for the priesthood (despite a few of God's chosen who have fallen) is appropriate as it is by the priest's "yes" that Jesus comes to us in the Eucharist, that we are freed from sin, etc. If a priest understood his vocation, he would die not of fear, but of love...they shoulder a tremendous responsibility, so pray for them.
Catholic Exchange did a study awhile ago about occurences of pedophilia across the country. If it is still on their site, please read it. Charity requires that one have correct knowledge before making accusations.