An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father vs Rabbi

Timothy

phatcatholic

i would guess that its b/c the title "rabbi" is one of honor and prestige, but the title "father" describes a relationship. the scribes and doctors of the law were called "rabbi" b/c they were so great (the word "rabbi" comes from the hebrew word [i]Rab[/i], which means "great"). it was a title they felt they deserved. however, we call priests "father" b/c they take care of the family of God as a man married to the bride of Christ, the Church. they are our spiritual fathers, as Paul presents himself to the corinthians. also, the connotations w/ elitism are not connected to the word "father" as they are w/ the word "rabbi"........and for good reason. to be a father in this way is a gift, not a privelage, and no man would presume to be deserving of the title.

read these articles on [url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12617b.htm"]Rabbi[/url] and read the section from [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=7096"]this entry[/url] on why we call priests "father."

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Guest JeffCR07

I believe it also may have roots in the baptismal theology of the primitive Church.

In baptism, we are reborn of water and the Spirit, and the priest is the one who baptises. Thus, in the mind of the early church, the priest or bishop was the spiritual father of all whom he had baptised.

This can take on a more general meaning too, for all priests who baptise do so in the name of Christ, and with His Power and Authority. As such, all priests stand in the person of Christ, in whom we are reborn. Thus, each priest is an icon of Christ, whose blood we are reborn.

- Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

phatcatholic

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Jun 22 2005, 04:11 PM']This can take on a more general meaning too, for all priests who baptise do so in the name of Christ, and with His Power and Authority. As such, all priests stand in the person of Christ, in whom we are reborn. Thus, each priest is an icon of Christ, whose blood we are reborn.[right][snapback]619592[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
right, but how does this explain why we call the priest "father"? (or were you just making more of an aside?)

franciscanheart

theres some links on this i belive somewhere in the reference section.... or maybe i was reading in a book about it... :unsure: