An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mortification...

Brother Adam

Brother Adam

What do you think about this concept. It's a pretty foreign one to Protestants of which I was not too long ago. Is it still very applicable today? Does it really give graces?

Yes.

Like anything else, it can be used for vanity, vainglory, gloating, etc.

It is not something wide practiced (social stigma) and takes a lot of holiness to build up to ( in the instance of certain corporal mortifications). This is probably not evr for the average lay person.

Other mortifications can be used with more effectiveness and require a lot less spiritual fortitude (ex. fasting, refraining from certain snacks or foods, refraining from alcohol for long periods of time, living life frugally by choice, not taking aspirin for a headache).

Mortification requires a joyful cooperation, one not used to show off (as in the biblical story of the holy man and the other man in the temple or when Jesus speaks of fasting and washing one's face and smiling).

God Bless,
Chels

MilesChristi

"These are the savory fruits of the mortified soul: tolerance and understanding toward the defects of others; intolerance toward his own."

---St. Josemaria Escriva, [i]The Way[/i]

Guest Eremite

[quote]I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

1Corinthians 9:27[/quote]

The dictionary defines "pommeling" as "to beat". St. Paul beat his body in order to bring it into subjection. Sounds like mortification to me.

Also remember that some demons cannot be driven out except by prayer and fasting, according to the Lord.

disturbedxfairy

funny you bring this up. i actually had a question about it too. i was told in confession on sunday that i should pray and fast. i was trying to figure out what to fast from (he didn't mean just food). so i was going to ask for suggestions. ^_^

Matthew 6:16-18

You can fast in many ways, give up food, give up TV, give up something you enjoy that occupies time and instead give that time to prayer. Put a quarter in your shoe and everytime you feel it, it will remind you to pray. Also, if you need to use the phone in an emergency, you're prepared.

Mortification allows us to share in the suffering of Christ. That cannot be bad.

On a side note, manchild from Mars ILL has recorded a song for the next phatmass compilation, and the subject of the song is mortification. It's awesome. Here's how the hook starts out like: "Mortified, deny self till I'm fortified..."

He also has named the title of the next Mars ILL album "Pro Pain". hmmm.....

usually corporal mortifications are taken upon a soul with the guidance of a spiritual director.

and yes they still apply today. It is a path to denying self, not the only path but one of them.

Thy Geekdom Come

A young man once went to St. Francis de Sales to ask his permission to wear a penitent hair shirt. St. Francis, recognizing the young man's true motive (spiritual pride), replied, "yes, you may, but only if you wear it outside of everything else."

:lol:

We must be certain to make any and all mortifications for the love of God, to grow closer to Him, and not to win the esteem of men or to grow in self-love.

I like St. Padre Pio for this reason. He had the stigmata and, out of humility, covered it with gloves. God then gave him the odor of sanctity. If we truly strive to love God, we won't let these things inflate us...and if God truly wants them to honor us, He'll make it impossible for us to hide.

Can't cover up the odor of sanctity. ;)

[quote name='Brother Adam' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:45 AM']What do you think about this concept. It's a pretty foreign one to Protestants of which I was not too long ago. Is it still very applicable today? Does it really give graces?
[right][snapback]618919[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I engage in it quite often.....by choice....and I do believe that it gives graces. Mortification is something that if done properly will help one to focus and is very prayerful......

[quote name='The Way #181']Interior mortification. I don't believe in your interior self-denial if I see that you despise, that you do not practise, mortification of the senses.[/quote]

[quote name='The Way #178']When you see a poor wooden Cross, alone, uncared-for, and of no value... and without its Crucified, don't forget that that Cross is your Cross: the Cross of each day, the hidden Cross, without splendour or consolation..., the Cross which is awaiting the Crucified it lacks: and that Crucified must be you.[/quote]

[quote name='The Way #198']These are the ripe fruits of the mortified soul: tolerance and understanding for the defects of others; intolerance for one's own.[/quote]

[quote name='The Way #192']You always come out beaten. Propose to yourself, each time, the salvation of a particular soul, or its sanctification, or its vocation to the apostolate. If you do so, you are certain of victory.[/quote]

Just a few thoughts from the Founder.

Guest Eremite

[quote]We must be certain to make any and all mortifications for the love of God, to grow closer to Him, and not to win the esteem of men or to grow in self-love.[/quote]

Good point. Our Lord told St. Faustina Kowalska:

[quote]"There is more merit to one hour of meditation on My sorrowful Passion than there is to a whole year of flagellation that draws blood"[/quote]

Theologian in Training

I pasted something I wrote about this when it came up a second time while talking about Opus Dei.

Check it out: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=2662&hl=mortification"]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...l=mortification[/url]

God Bless