An Old School Catholic Message Board

Magdalen College?

MC Just

IcePrincessKRS

They are very solidly Catholic, no doubt about that. However they are more strict so it just doesn't suit alot of people. As Jared pointed out his brother graduated from there, so obviously he liked it enough to stay for 4 whole years, but I also have a couple friends who transferred out because they didn't like it. Same as any school I guess, just its a Real Catholic school (not that certain other Catholic schools aren't Real Catholic colleges, I meant Catholic versus secular).

They are ridiculously strict. (and I'm a grad of Christendom, which most other people regard as ridiculously strict). No dating allowed, social interaction and campus life is very tightly regulated. I didn't go there, but I've heard first-hand accounts. Since you're married, the dating stuff shouldn't be an issue. Don't know if you can live off campus. (And the campus is in a VERY remote location - would involve a commute.)

haha

here is the response from the Admissions counselor

Yes, Magdalen College is a “real” Catholic College. The College was founded, in 1973, in large part because our founders saw that most Catholic colleges were losing sight of their Catholic goals and objectives. All our faculty and staff take an oath of fidelity to the Magisterium and all or catechesis/theology teachers have received the mandatum from our local bishop. The Latin Mass celebrated here on campus is the Novus Ordo; currently there are no approved Tridentine Masses said on a regular basis in the state; however, I have heard that our bishop is considering having them said in the Cathedral from time to time. Occasionally, we do have visiting priest who say the Tridentine Mass while here.

If you would like more information about the College, I will be more than happy to send you some. Also, you are more than welcome to come and visit anytime.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

does anyone were their is a list of "Real" catholic colleges?

I know Christendom
Ave maria Universtiy

but are their others?

thanks

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:37 PM']They are ridiculously strict.  (and I'm a grad of Christendom, which most other people regard as ridiculously strict).  No dating allowed, social interaction and campus life is very tightly regulated.  I didn't go there, but I've heard first-hand accounts.  Since you're married, the dating stuff shouldn't be an issue.  Don't know if you can live off campus.  (And the campus is in a VERY remote location - would involve a commute.)
[right][snapback]619897[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Actually I think the dating rule is no dating until senior year, I know someone who got engaged when they graduated from Magdalen (I think it was actual grad day). (hint:: two of her sisters went to Christendom). So obviously she dated while there if she got engaged on their campus (in the chapel if I recall the engagement story correctly).

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' date='Jun 24 2005, 12:40 PM']does anyone were their is a list of "Real" catholic colleges?

I know Christendom
Ave maria Universtiy

but are their others?

thanks
[right][snapback]621677[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thomas Aquinas out in CA
Benedictine, I believe is the name of another (ask Theoketos, I think he's the one who "promotes" that school ;) )
Franciscan here in Steubie (though some things about them tend to be a little more Charismatic, so it doesn't always suit people who tend to be more traditional, but should you choose to attend school you don't HAVE to go to Mass there, there are parishes off campus you'd probably appreciate)
Magdalen

um.... thats all I can think of off the top of my head....

IcePrincessKRS

From a post by Theoketos:

[quote]if you want an Orthodox undergraduate degree I know that Benedictine College in Atchison Kansas, U of Dallas Dallas Texas, Thomas Aquinas in California, Franciscan University of Steubenville Ohio, And Christendom College in Virgina are the best places with Orthodox Teachers.[/quote]

[quote name='MC Just' date='Jun 22 2005, 10:10 AM']i emailed them and asked if they are a "Real Catholic College" or a college losing its catholicity due to secualrism and liberalism. lol
[right][snapback]619048[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Seeing as that each year all the staff swear obedience to the Magisterium, yes they are the real thing. As my husband, BullnaChinaShop just posted, his brother just graduated from there. Excellent orthodox Catholic school.

Its a really good school! If you go there one of my familys good friends just married one of the head guys in charge up there lol. it is very good Catholic school. my sister has been there and lots of friends have gone. i have not heard about it being to strict but i guess it depends on the person.