An Old School Catholic Message Board

Be Prepared!

Aloysius

[quote name='Aloysius' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:44 PM']At the beginning of Eucharistic Prayer III, the words, "From age to age you gather a people to yourself, so that from east to west a perfect offering may be made to the glory of your name", become in the new translation: "... you never cease to gather a people to yourself, so that from the rising of the sun to its setting a pure oblation may be offered to your name" - with geographical space transformed into time.
[right][snapback]620132[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This new translation of Eucharistic Prayer III finally connects this particular part of the prayer to the prophetic statment of Malachi about the Eucharistic oblation:

"For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts." [Malachi 1:11]

One of the things about the old ICEL translation that I found most bothersome, was the fact that it invariably removed biblical allusions from the prayers of the Mass.

I remember printing out a copy of the "green book" earlier this year, which was the book sent to all the bishops of the English speaking world with the preliminary translation of the main parts of the Mass. It was certainly a much better translation than the ICEL version.

I don't know, I was reading around and it said it would probably be coming 2006

see, it's all done, it just needs the approval of the bishops conferences and then it'll be put into effect. the bishops conferences all have copies now and they are being reviewed.. 2006 seems reasonable.

here, I saw it on a blog while I was searching: [url="http://michaeldubruiel.blogspot.com/2004/08/new-mass-english-translation-in-2006.html"]http://michaeldubruiel.blogspot.com/2004/0...on-in-2006.html[/url]

By doing a Google search I found this website:

[url="http://catholicinsight.com/online/church/liturgy/new_mass.shtml"]Catholic Insight[/url]

2006 I guess was just some random guy's guess... oh well I'll go with it!

what? bloggers are infallible aren't they?

i don't think you coudl call the old ones "invalid". True they can't be used for Mass but the prayers are still prayers. I hope they don't throw them away, but then i love looking through old books to see the way stuff was.

But no not used in Mass or public rites of the Church

they are erroneous translations... that's about all. the upcoming ones will be the correct translations. maybe save a copy of one of these english missals for history's sake.. but there's no reason for anyone to be using any of these incorrect translations when we have the right ones out there...

If my memory serves me, the Instruction [u]Liturgiam Authenticam[/u] (2001) gives the bishops conferences five years to prepare the liturgical books. But I'd have to reread the instruction to be sure.