An Old School Catholic Message Board

Be Prepared!

Aloysius

i so just forgot what Cardinal Arinze headed.

Why would they ban the NRSV-CE i could see the NRSV but not the Catholic Edition, it is supposed to be one of the best and truest to the original form. isn't it?

Ash Wednesday

That's cool. I've noticed attending masses in other languages, they've used the more traditional translation from the latin. :)

Guest Eremite

I think the NAB is the only approved Bible for Mass in the United States.

It baffles my mind that the US Bishops don't rather use the RSV-CE.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jun 23 2005, 02:41 PM']i so just forgot what Cardinal Arinze headed.

Why would they ban the NRSV-CE i could see the NRSV but not the Catholic Edition, it is supposed to be one of the best and truest to the original form. isn't it?
[right][snapback]620894[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
To the best of my knowledge neither the NRSV nor the NRSV-CE has been given a [i]recognitio[/i] from the Apostolic See and neither translation is allowed in the liturgy. If the NRSV-CE is revised so that it no longer contains "gender neutral" language, it could be approved. But I don't think that that has happened.

As a side note, the Canadian Bishops Conference published an NRSV Lectionary prior to the rescinding of the [i]recognitio[/i] by the CDF in the mid 1990s and so it does use that defective NRSV translation. But when the Canadian Bishops eventually issue a new lectionary, it will have to conform to the translation norms established by the Instruction [u]Liturgiam Authenticam[/u].

[quote name='Eremite' date='Jun 23 2005, 02:42 PM']I think the NAB is the only approved Bible for Mass in the United States.

It baffles my mind that the US Bishops don't rather use the RSV-CE.
[right][snapback]620896[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yeah, the US Bishops don't allow the RSV-CE, which is sad.

I believe that the present US Lectionary is a modified version of the RNAB, which was modified under the supervision of the CDF in order to remove much of the socalled "inclusive language" that was in that translation originally.