An Old School Catholic Message Board

a few

lifeteenchick527

lifeteenchick527

okay.... i have a few quick questions

first off...iam a 16 year old comfirmed catholic...

(a) how old do u have to be to be a lector

(b) how old do u have to be to be an Extraodinary Minister of Holy Communion

alritey...thanks

o and if anyone else has a question...feel free to post it here :)

God Bless
LTC :hearts:

[quote name='lifeteenchick527' date='Jun 22 2005, 08:57 PM']okay.... i have a few quick questions

first off...iam a 16 year old comfirmed catholic...

(a) how old do u have to be to be a lector

(b) how old do u have to be to be an Extraodinary Minister of Holy Communion

alritey...thanks

o and if anyone else has a question...feel free to post it here :)
God Bless
[right][snapback]620144[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

- You can be a lector really @ any age...it all depends on if you've received training and what your particular parish allows...

- To be an EM, you simply have to be confirmed - Correct me if I'm wrong, Scholars...

LTC - You iz cool.

1. You have to be a man to be a lector. To be a reader, I don't think there is an age limit, technically. I could be wrong. I started reading at my parish in Tucson when I was really young (like 6th grade) Talk to you parish priest

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 22 2005, 09:05 PM']1. You have to be a man to be a lector.  To be a reader, I don't think there is an age limit, technically.  I could be wrong.  I started reading at my parish in Tucson when I was really young (like 6th grade)  Talk to you parish priest
[right][snapback]620151[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

A man to be a Lector? Hahahahha...Nope! Survey says....EH! ;-)

Either a man or woman can lector... :D

1337 k4th0l1x0r

Are you referring to the (now mostly suppressed) minor orders of the lector or what a lector is currently recognized in most parishes as being?

1337 k4th0l1x0r

[quote name='lifeteenchick527' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:10 PM']the most parishes one... hehe thanks
[right][snapback]620157[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Well by canon law most of the people who read aren't lectors. But they do read from a lectionary so informally they are lectors. I believe the only requirement to read is that you must be baptized.

[quote name='inDEED' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:07 PM']A man to be a Lector? Hahahahha...Nope! Survey says....EH! ;-)

Either a man or woman can lector... :D
[right][snapback]620153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
WOAH! WOAH! I have male and female friends who do readings. Only the MEN participated in the mass by the Bishop to make them lectors. The females asked if they were to be there as well, and they were told that while they are readers, only men were to be installed as lectors.

lifeteenchick527

kool...

i really want to be a Extraodinary Minister of Holy Communion
hehe

God Bless

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='lifeteenchick527' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:17 AM']kool...

i really want to be a Extraodinary Minister of Holy Communion
hehe

God Bless
[right][snapback]620168[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I'm one...I'll never do it again...so unnecessary around here...

This topic was brought to my attention by someone who was a tad confused about the term of "lector" and who can be considered a lector and who can not be called one.

According to Canon Law only a man can be installed as a lector

Canon 230, §1. “Lay men who possess the age and qualifications determined by decree of the conference of bishops can be installed on a stable basis in the ministries of lector and acolyte in accord with the prescribed liturgical rite; the conferral of these ministries, however, does not confer on these lay men a right to obtain support or remuneration from the Church.”

Note. ‘Installation on a permanent or stable basis in these two ministries is limited to men and to those who have reached the age specified by the conference of bishops. In the United States that age is eighteen. A special liturgical rite is to be followed. Installation, however, is not an order. Episcopal orders are not required to install lay men validly in these ministries; this is to be done by the bishop or the major superior of a religious order. By installation a minister does not acquire any claim to financial support in the Church; he does not become a cleric (c. 266, §1).’ CCLTC, p. 167.

However the Canon does tell us that women can be lectors only on a temporary basis, but they are not installed by the Bishop like men are.

Canon 230, §2. “Lay persons can fulfill the function of lector during liturgical actions by temporary deputation; likewise all lay persons can fulfill the functions of commentator or cantor or other functions, in accord with the norm of law.”

Edited by StColette

Guest Eremite

When I made my First Holy Communion, everyone in my class (there were only 3 of us) had to read a portion of the Scripture reading during Mass. Did anyone else do this?