An Old School Catholic Message Board

ever had this happen?

Old_Joe

So yesterday during Mass, I nearly started laughing. I mean I was seriously on the verge of cracking up. I didn't mean to. It wasn't because of anything that Father had said in his homily. this was not the first time either. Sometimes, I catch myself doing the same thing, usually doing the eucharistic liturgy. I don't know why I do this. I feel kinda bad about this because I know I'm supposed to be focusing on the Mass. Maybe Satan is trying to get me distracted from the liturgy, or perhaps I'm just experiencing joy at God's presence. ;) I dunno. any ideas or similar experiences?

I've definitely had similar experiences, and I definitely think it is Satan. More distraction occurs during the Mass than any other time. Whenever I feel myself getting giddy or distracted, I ask Our Lady for the gift of focus and reverence. It never fails!

I had a holy hour right before Mass, and I was laughing on the inside then. I was sitting behind my friends, when one of them started to nod off. I couldn't help but smirk a little. I even coughed a little to wake him up.

Oh, dear.... :o iggy! :lol:

I wind up crying a lot at masses, for no good reason. It's annoying.

I think stress can cause the giggly reaction. Just knowing that you shouldn't laugh can make you feel like laughing.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i always get distracted a laugh at the stupid and ridicoulous things people sitting by me do...

if i see an abuse i always whisper he shouldn't be doing that!

there is a story! okay, maybe not so much. i knew it was the last time i would get to say alleluia for all of Lent, and i got really excited and one of my legs swung up and hit the hymnal holder on the bottom of the pew and it fell down. I went and talked to the priest, and he said it wasn't secured properly.

Heh.

I watch people nod off during the homily. First the altar server, then the old couple in front, then the family next to me, then my husband (who gets nudged)... Snicker. I'm sure everyone else is too, but I can't see them.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i go to a jesuit church with the associate pastor who gives the worlds best homilies!

[quote name='philothea' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:46 AM']Heh.

I watch people nod off during the homily.  First the altar server, then the old couple in front, then the family next to me, then my husband (who gets nudged)... Snicker.  I'm sure everyone else is too, but I can't see them.
[right][snapback]621686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
When I am at school, I generally don't have to worry about it. I have been at mass running on 1 hour of sleep and still stayed awake (and father gave a 45 minute homily. i am told it was good, i just remember not falling asleep)

[quote name='iggy' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:46 AM']there is a story! okay, maybe not so much.  i knew it was the last time i would get to say alleluia for all of Lent, and i got really excited and one of my legs swung up and hit the hymnal holder on the bottom of the pew and it fell down. I went and talked to the priest, and he said it wasn't secured properly.
[right][snapback]621685[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

defiling a church. tsk tsk. :P

At least you don't have to worry about getting a foot stuck between your pew and the floor when you kneel. I've had that happen a few times.

Edited by Old_Joe

[quote name='Old_Joe' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:51 AM']At least you have to worry about getting a foot stuck between your pew and the floor when you kneel.  I've had that happen a few times.
[right][snapback]621696[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:huh:

One day during the sermon, I saw an elderly woman in front of me light up a cigarette. I was shocked! I couldn't believe it! :o I was so taken aback I almost dropped my beer!

Yes, I know... that's a bad joke... If God does not have a certain sense of humor... I'm looking at a few centuries of pergatory... I know... I know... :(

[quote]Yes, I know... that's a bad joke... If God does not have a certain sense of humor... I'm looking at a few centuries of pergatory... I know... I know...  [/quote]

send me a post card

don't look at me like that Amber. (you'd think I'd be used to it by now) seriously, I've gotten my foot stuck underneath my pew. I'll be kneeling during the eucharistic liturgy, and when I try to stand up my foot gets wedged between the floor and the bottom of the pew. It's kinda annoying.

that look was about your sentence compostition, i knew what you meant, but it wasn't exactly what you said. cut me some slack.