An Old School Catholic Message Board

call me mean but I did what I did

curtins

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='Jun 25 2005, 11:16 PM']Diocese?
:ph34r: your word scares me..
[right][snapback]623887[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I take pride in my poor spelling. You see, when I speak I don't see (umm, you know what I mean) words, but rather, images. So this helps me remeber things like sounds, which is fun. I love Russian names, I am working on Arabic names now. I can't read them but if I hear them on the radio once or twice I can normally remeber and pronouce them all the time because I don't see my letters.

Okay, now that you are confused, let me give you a case in point. One of the girls that I work with asked me where I was going to go to college at and I told her "Grinnell" (Grin-nell). A little while later we were talking again and she said, "You are going to Grinnell (Grinn-ell), right?"

What happened is that when I told her Grinnell she processed that data and stored it in her head not as a sound, but rather, as letters, G-R-I-N-N-E-L-L. In the interveing time she forgot where the accents where and how the word was divided, thus, when repeating the word said "Grinn-ell."

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Iacobus' date='Jun 25 2005, 11:26 PM']I take pride in my poor spelling. You see, when I speak I don't see (umm, you know what I mean) words, but rather, images. So this helps me remeber things like sounds, which is fun. I love Russian names, I am working on Arabic names now. I can't read them but if I hear them on the radio once or twice I can normally remeber and pronouce them all the time because I don't see my letters.

Okay, now that you are confused, let me give you a case in point. One of the girls that I work with asked me where I was going to go to college at and I told her "Grinnell" (Grin-nell). A little while later we were talking again and she said, "You are going to Grinnell (Grinn-ell), right?"

What happened is that when I told her Grinnell she processed that data and stored it in her head not as a sound, but rather, as letters, G-R-I-N-N-E-L-L. In the interveing time she forgot where  the accents where and how the word was divided, thus, when repeating the word said "Grinn-ell."
[right][snapback]623897[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
:cool:

You big fat linguistics geek you.

We need to get together and have a chat. Diphthongs and coffee.

Ejective uvular plosives!

[quote name='Phazzan' date='Jun 25 2005, 02:38 AM']Curtins, you know what you did?  I'll tell you what you did, by admitting you like this girl to her face, you killed the mystery?  You're not supposed to go "oh hello, i really really like you and wanna make babies with you someday" :rolleyes: , that's called stupid curtins... STUPID!  You don't do that?  What you do is, you drop little hints, and very subtlely, then eventually she will come to you.  Like a mate of mine once said "you reel em in a little, then you let em out a bit, reel em in a bit more, then out, then in, then out" and you get the picture.  You just don't go "oh hello there, im well thank you, i really really like you and i think you are great and i was wondering if you would maybe like to come around to my house one day and scrabble!"  Fook curtins, why you do it like that for?  YOU DON'T DO IT EVER!  :angry:

Geez. :angry:

Moron. :rolleyes:
[right][snapback]622621[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

shut up rapheal :D ;)