An Old School Catholic Message Board

Traditional Hymns...

Matty_boy

My fiancee and I are working on finding hymns for our wedding. We'd like some more traditional and LITURGICAL hymns rather than the "curse of Marty Haugen," and other liberal "ephasis on ME and what I do rather than God and what God does." These hymns will be played on either an organ (optimal) or a piano, with one female vocalist.

Any ideas?

An obvious wedding hymn for a female vocalist would be Ave Maria. Especially if you are going to present flowers to Our Lady which is a beautiful thing...that song would be perfect for that! :)

[quote name='corban711' date='Jun 25 2005, 11:39 AM']An obvious wedding hymn for a female vocalist would be Ave Maria.  Especially if you are going to present flowers to Our Lady which is a beautiful thing...that song would be perfect for that!  :)
[right][snapback]622941[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Definitely. I recommend Gounod's or Schubert's version.

allis-challmers

hey I like this topic. I am going to be getting marryed in a year and I havn't figured out what songs I am going to have for the wedding yet. I am sure that my girlfriend will have a very big part in choosing the songs but It would be nice to have some ideas

Thy Geekdom Come

Iggy will laugh at this, but I'm very fond of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence and I think one can understand it in the sense of the extreme reverence we should have for marriage, as it talks about Christ descending to save us, His Bride, etc.

"Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" and "Now Thank We All Our God" are excellent choices for a wedding ... if you like traditional English hymns.

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:44 AM']Iggy will laugh at this, but I'm very fond of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence and I think one can understand it in the sense of the extreme reverence we should have for marriage, as it talks about Christ descending to save us, His Bride, etc.
[right][snapback]623941[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can't laugh at you, because I almost said the same thing(okay, not the [i]same[/i] thing because you are smarter than me, but close enough), but I didn't want you to laugh at me! :P

[quote name='Raphael' date='Jun 26 2005, 12:44 AM']Iggy will laugh at this, but I'm very fond of Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence and I think one can understand it in the sense of the extreme reverence we should have for marriage, as it talks about Christ descending to save us, His Bride, etc.
[right][snapback]623941[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I agree, beautiful song.. we sang it at the Vigil Mass for Life at the basillica in Washington DC last year. :wub:

Another one of my favorites is always "Panis Anglicus" for Communion. Personally I'd go with the Gounod's "Ave Maria" since Schubert is typically overdone.

I did one wedding where the groom didn't want "Ave Maria" (it made him cry ;)) so I sang "Sing of Mary" instead.

:)

I really don't want "Ave Maria" at my wedding. I don't know how my fiancee feels about it, but I think it's really overdone, and I've never heard it sung well at a wedding. It's a hard song to sing, I'll give the singers that, but I'd rather have something simpler but sung well.

Guest Eremite

I'm not sure if it's ever used at weddings, but "Ubi Caritas" might be a good choice.

[quote]Let us exult, and in Him be joyful.
Let us fear and let us love the living God.
And from a sincere heart let us love each other (and Him).[/quote]

Ubi Caritas scares me...

..we become what we recieve...

Maybe I just heard a "revamped" version.

Faith of our Fathers is a great song (alotugh I don't know how old it is or whether it would be appropriate for a wedding).