An Old School Catholic Message Board

How did you come up with your screen name?

Old_Joe

missionarybelle

lets see

I'm not officially a foreign missionary, but I might be one someday so for now, I'm just a missionary to those around me.

and I'm a belle. a SOUTHERN belle.

Fides_et_Ratio

Very shortly after my reconciliation to the Church, the new deacon (now a priest), was excited about my intellectual conversion and we quickly became friends. One day, I was complaining to him that I'd been told that "religion was for weak minded people" and how I was too frustrated to even reply because I wasn't so sure the assumption was false. He quickly rose to the challenge and instructed me to read (demanded, really) Pope John Paul II's encyclical letter "Fides et Ratio", and so I did (he claims I'm the first to read anything he suggests... little does he know how great an effect it had on me!). It's sort of becoming a running/inside joke, but it works!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='Jun 26 2005, 07:47 PM']I was [i]going[/i] to use "Lester" because that was my nick name in high school... but I didn't want people thinking I was a boy...
[right][snapback]624732[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Are you LittleLes?????? :rotfl: Geez, I crack myself up.

'didacus' is my middle name actually. In french it is spelled Didace.

The name was given to me from my GodFather, who is chinese in origin.

I figured my middle name, in relation to my godfather was appropriate.

lifeteenchick527

i got mine from when i first joined philippe told me too and at the time his was either lifeteener or pmlifeteener i dont remember which, but anywase... and since i was in lifeteen with him i decided to put lifeteenchick and then 527 ismy bday may 27th

Socrates, because he was a master debater, and I was originally interested in the debate table - the name had a simple, iconic ring to it, and gives an impression of wisdom.

Also, I recall from Plato's Republic (which I read back in college), that one character was always saying things like, "to disagree would be foolishness, O Socrates," and "it would be madness to suggest otherwise, O Socrates." :)

photosynthesis

[quote name='Socrates' date='Jun 29 2005, 05:15 PM']Socrates, because he was a master debater, and I was originally interested in the debate table - the name had a simple, iconic ring to it, and gives an impression of wisdom.

Also, I recall from Plato's Republic (which I read back in college), that one character was always saying things like, "to disagree would be foolishness, O Socrates," and "it would be madness to suggest otherwise, O Socrates."  :)
[right][snapback]627683[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Diogenes was cooler.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jun 29 2005, 03:18 PM']Diogenes was cooler.
[right][snapback]627686[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

There's a conservative opinion columnist/satirist who writes under that [i]nom de plum[/i]. Didn't want to be confused with him.

[quote name='photosynthesis' date='Jun 29 2005, 03:22 PM']who does he write for?
[right][snapback]627695[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

He has a column in Catholic World Report. It's rumored that he's really Ralph MacInerny.

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='thedude' date='Jun 25 2005, 06:08 PM']I'm The Dude.
[right][snapback]623451[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

'I'm not "Mr. Lebowski." [i]You're[/i] Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude, man. So that's what you call me. That, or "Duder" or "His Dudeness" or "El Duderino" if you're not into the whole brevity thing . . .'

~ [i]The Big Lebwoski[/i]